shape
carat
color
clarity

princess stone confusion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I have a princess cut stone, 1.13 carats, I color, SI1 clarity. Measures 5.5 x 5.45 x 4.5 (depth). (from appraisal) Here's my question. Does that seem like a good cut or is it a little deep? I can see two TINY clear "bubble" inclusions with unaided eyes. I have always been skeptical of this stone because my husband told me when he got it, it was originally 1.19 carats, but it chipped during setting due to an inclusion in the corner. It was then recut to 1.13 and wound up grading better due to lost inclusion. Is this a bunch of baloney, or does that actually happen? I think part of it is that I really don't like my ring, but my husband loves it so much and is so proud of his bargain hunting, (he paid $3400) that I feel like a bad wife if I tell him it doesn't float my boat. Most women would be happy with a 1+ carat and I should just be happy that my husband is flat out the best guy on the planet. And I am. And he is!! :)

But still, there is that part of me that wants a bigger rock (1.5 with a more rectangle cut), with no visible inclusions, just a tad whiter, but I don't know how to broach it. Trust me, he's a GREAT guy, but on this one he'd be livid. He already told me he is so glad I am not one of those women who would ever upgrade her stone because he was "smart enough to buy me a huge one". But if there is a quality issue, then that removes the fault from him, and we can trade it for something better, that I can check with my own eyes. (and I have my own loupe!) Any advice or should I just shut up and smile? :wavey:

andrea

Shiny_Rock
If he's anything like my husband, the first ring should never be replaced, as this is what he could afford at the time. I wear my original diamond ring on a daily basis, but if I go out, or to a party of some sort, I put on my bigger one, and he really doesn't say anything. Does this help?

jujubee

Rough_Rock
I upgraded my original engagment ring recently. I went from a 1.12 carat to a 3.6 carat. I had my 1.12 carat put into a necklace so it is "closer to my heart" I did not want to part with the stone because of the significance, but I did want something larger. Husband was happy to do so and even ended up buying me new diamond stud earrings to boot!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think that if you try to trade this, you're in for more trouble than it's worth.

Clearly he's proud of his purchase.....and it was the gift HE gave you. The one he chose. He obviously invested a greate deal of time and effort into choosing what he thought was the perfect stone. Many women would be damn grateful to get a stone like that.

I think you should accept what you have and be grateful, and realize that the ring itself pales in comparison to the importance of the man you have.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should just learn to live with it and find a battle you can win. From the sound of it, you have no chance of winning this one.

Just as husbands need to be careful with criticism about their wives' weight, wives need to be careful about criticism about their engagement rings. I am not a sentimental person by any means, but were my wife to suggest upgrading, I think I would be rather upset.

My guess is, most husbands would react to a question like "Honey, would you mind if we got a bigger diamond for my wedding ring?" in about the same way that most wives would react to a question like "Honey, would you mind if I made you an appointment to have your thighs liposuctioned?" :bigsmile:

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
LOL!!! You are so funny. Or how about this one: "honey, sure you can get a bigger ring, and while we are at it, let's talk about your little A-cup chest, can we upgrade that?" No, you are totally right, I think a lot of it has to do with the ugly setting that doesn't do the stone justice. My hub proposed with a solitaire so I could be the one to pick out the setting, and our jeweler ordered the wrong one twice, so 2 days before the wedding we had stones with no ring--so I went with the wrong setting and accent stones. I picked out a new setting to set my engagement stone in, with differnt accent stones (2 trillions) and I think it will be a lot prettier and that's whats missing in this ring now, the "I like this--it's pretty" factor. My husband has no problem whatsoever with me finding the right setting, as long as the center stone is the same one he proposed with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results