shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Specs, help, please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mcampbell627

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''''m still in the market for a Princess for my girlfriend. I am working with a diamond wholesaler who found the following stone (GIA Certified):

1.30c
H
VS1
Depth 72
Table 71
Excellent Polish
Excellent Symmetry
No Fluorescence
5.98 x 5.96 x 4.29

Based on some previous (extremely helpful) feedback on this forum, I''''m pretty sure the cut is of good quality (right?). Of primary concern to me is the H color. I haven''''t seen the stone yet, and don''''t know where any inclusions are. How "bad" is H. Also, he asked how married I was to perfectly square. Does the L x W ratio impact the brilliance of the stone, or is it just a symmetry thing? I''''ve heard to stay between 1.00 and 1.15 for ratios. He didn''''t tell me the price, but I''''m guessing it''''s between $6K and $8K.

Any thoughts?

Thank you very much.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 9:18:26 AM
Author:mcampbell627
Hello,

I'm still in the market for a Princess for my girlfriend. I am working with a diamond wholesaler who found the following stone (GIA Certified):

1.30c
H
VS1
Depth 72
Table 71
Excellent Polish
Excellent Symmetry
No Fluorescence
5.98 x 5.96 x 4.29

Based on some previous (extremely helpful) feedback on this forum, I'm pretty sure the cut is of good quality (right?). Of primary concern to me is the H color. I haven't seen the stone yet, and don't know where any inclusions are. How 'bad' is H. Also, he asked how married I was to perfectly square. Does the L x W ratio impact the brilliance of the stone, or is it just a symmetry thing? I've heard to stay between 1.00 and 1.15 for ratios. He didn't tell me the price, but I'm guessing it's between $6K and $8K.

Any thoughts?

Thank you very much.
Hi McCampbell,

It is very difficult to advise without images, the depth and table only give a partial chalk outline of the diamond, so it is not really possible to say that this diamond is well cut without images such as ASET. I don't see any flags on paper but see what you think when you see it, the length to width does not impact the brilliance of the diamond as far as I am aware, more important is the crown height, faceting, angles etc.

As to the colour, H is not ' bad' at all and in fact is a sweet spot for some buyers enabling them to get a still very white diamond, but avoiding the premium of the colourless grades.

As to the diamond, really all you can do is to give it the best test drive you can in normal daylight, compare it with some of pretty much known cut quality such as AGS0 cut grade Princess ( Jareds might have some to show you) to see how it holds up.

Also you could purchase an ASET scope to evaluate the diamond yourself, they are reasonably easy to use and to interpret the results.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=23&ShowAdd=Y

Chart you can use to compare results - http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

Finally, you could make the sale contingent on the diamond checking out to your satisfaction with an independant appraiser, one who is skilled in evaluating cut quality preferably. Here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area. If you look by their various credentials, it sometimes says what tools the appraiser uses to evaluate cut if that is one of their services offered.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results