shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Shape Cut Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bfenne

Rough_Rock
I was in the NYC diamond district last week and found two GIA diamonds that were very similiar or so I think. I will list below for your thoughts.

Diamond #1
Square Modified Brilliant (GIA)
6.01 x 5.99 x 3.88 = 1:1 ratio
Weight 1.16
Depth:64.8%
Table:77%
Girdle: THN to MED
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS!
Color: E
Fluor: None
Comments: None

Diamond#2
Square Modified Brilliant (GIA)
5.78 x 5.71 x 4.23 Ratio: 1.01 to 1
Weight: 1.13
Depth:74.1%
Table:79%
Girdle: Slightly Thick
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity: VS1
Color:F
Fluor: None
Comments: Surface Graining Not Shown

I am very concerned with the cut as priority. What are your thoughts on the proportions as they apply to the cut? Which one is the better of the two and what would be fair pricing for these? Can someone you call the IGA to get the other proportions like Crown, Pavil to fill in the unknowns if they have the cert.#. Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
hi bfenne,

seeing as not many of the u.s based experts are on now, i will try to help u with my limited knowledge.

i ran the numbers through the diy cut grading on Gemapprasiers and the first diamond gets a better score of 2a on the table, with a 1a for girdle and total depth. the 2nd diamond gets a score of 3a on the table, with a 1a for girdle and total depth. the site is really useful and even has aga grading charts on the different shapes.

if u get more numbers, i am sure u can run them urself on the Holloway cut advisor. try to get the shop/ salesperson to get a sarin done on each of the stones!

hope i have been of some help
5.gif

bfenne

Rough_Rock
Anyone else have any thoughts on these diamonds?

mini

Rough_Rock
Hi Brian

Welcome to the forum
1.gif

The cut of a diamond is definitely the most important characteristic.
For Princess shape stones the depth should be between 64-75 and the depth should be between 59-72. The tables for the stones that you have listed are bigger than this range. Some experts have different opinions on how exactly the ideal range is defined.

The proportion ratios are good and the stones should be perfect squares.

Also, the company that has the diamonds should be able to give you the crown & pavil angles using a sarin machine.

Overall both stones are nice quality diamonds and you're on the right track.

loopy.gif

Candace
www.abazias.com

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, there is, however, not enough information to adequately judge if these stones are great or not. Table and Depth are only a small part of the equation, and plus, with fancy shapes it's even more complicated. See if you can get a Sarin on either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results