shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Help - Choosing between 3 Stones...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HKS1011

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone.

As my previous posts stated - I am looking for a princess cut diamond.

I have chosen a jewerly store in Charlotte NC to help me handle the purchase. It is Donald Haack. They were very informative and helpful during the initial interview process. They have searched with their dealers and have located 3 stones for me to look at this Saturday.

I am looking for your opinion as to the quality/measurements/price.

Option 1: 1.51 H SI2
6.71 X 6.10
$8,000.00

Option 2: 1.58 I SI1
6.54 X 6.47
$8,600.00

Option 3: 1.71 I SI2
6.53 X 6.4
$7,866.00

All of the above have been looked at by them in-house gemoloist and have been determined to be eye-clean. I believe also that all of them are GIA certified.

Any help, suggestions, comments are welcomed and encouraged.

Thanks

HKS

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way we can tell from this numbers. Fancy shapes need pictures preferably ASET image.

Are the dimension for the face up area?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
If those are face up proportion. The first stone needs to be discounted more, it has a l/w ratio of 1.1. Princess are preferably square, ideally not more than l/w of 1.05

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Stone-cold's right...not enough information to make a decision.

Even if you could provide us with depth, table, crown, pavilion, girdle, etc., it wouldn't be enough to say anything about the cut. You need to look at the diamonds with your own eyes or provide us with detailed magnified photos and preferably a performance-evaluating tool like an ASET or IdealScope image.

Here's an example of a great looking princess with this kind of info available, also in your price and color range:
1.48 I VS1

Or this one: 1.5 I/VS2

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if you don''t have ASET pictures, a magnified picture of the stone will help somewhat. Since we can''t see the stone but you can, what is your opinion? Also, take the stone away from the spot lighting of the jewellery store and view it under natural lighting and under the table. This will help the diamond show its true self (good cutting or bad). There is absolutely no way anyone can judge a fancy cut like princess just based on numbers off a cert.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 5:03:00 PM
Author:HKS1011
Hello Everyone.

As my previous posts stated - I am looking for a princess cut diamond.

I have chosen a jewerly store in Charlotte NC to help me handle the purchase. It is Donald Haack. They were very informative and helpful during the initial interview process. They have searched with their dealers and have located 3 stones for me to look at this Saturday.

I am looking for your opinion as to the quality/measurements/price.

Option 1: 1.51 H SI2
6.71 X 6.10
$8,000.00

Option 2: 1.58 I SI1
6.54 X 6.47
$8,600.00

Option 3: 1.71 I SI2
6.53 X 6.4
$7,866.00

All of the above have been looked at by them in-house gemoloist and have been determined to be eye-clean. I believe also that all of them are GIA certified.

Any help, suggestions, comments are welcomed and encouraged.

Thanks

HKS
Can you post the info you do have such as the depth and table for each please, and the girdle thickness? This would give a little more info but as Jstar says we need images. Also check them very carefully if you are viewing in person that these diamonds are eyeclean.

HKS1011

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I figured it would be a long shot. I am going up there Saturday to look at them. The lady at Donald Haack is going to show me everything about the three. She has said that alll of them are eye-clean. They do not sell ones that are not.

But as far as the other dimensions, I do not have any of those on hand. She just gave me a bried discription of the three. She stated that she would explain the pros/cons of each and also see which one has the best sparkle to it.

I feel good about the jeweler but just wanted to see if anyone has anything to say about these.

As far as the 1st diamond - it is my least favorite since it does have a ratio of 1.1 - but she stated that she would let me look at this one as well.

Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted.

Also - thanks for the advice about natural lighting, etc.

HKS

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Luck then.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 8:37:06 AM
Author: HKS1011
Thanks everyone. I figured it would be a long shot. I am going up there Saturday to look at them. The lady at Donald Haack is going to show me everything about the three. She has said that alll of them are eye-clean. They do not sell ones that are not.

But as far as the other dimensions, I do not have any of those on hand. She just gave me a bried discription of the three. She stated that she would explain the pros/cons of each and also see which one has the best sparkle to it.

I feel good about the jeweler but just wanted to see if anyone has anything to say about these.

As far as the 1st diamond - it is my least favorite since it does have a ratio of 1.1 - but she stated that she would let me look at this one as well.

Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted.

Also - thanks for the advice about natural lighting, etc.

HKS
Definitely ask if you can compare them away from any bright store lights, this is good standard advice as jewellery store lights can make even poorly cut gems sparkle somewhat, so this would be advantageous if you could do so.

HKS1011

Rough_Rock
I went on Saturday to Donald Haack and was able to look at the stones. I ended up choosing the 1.71 Carat stone. I should be receiving the stone/ring in a couple of weeks. I will post the the details on here for everyone to see.

Thanks again for the help.

HKS

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results