shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess diamonds and on a budget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

liminal

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

First, I am grateful for these forums -- certainly gives lots to read and educate yourself before making a purchase!

I''m in Canada and am weighing my options between purchasing a princess or a round cut for an engagement ring. At the moment I am leaning toward the princess cuts.

Can someone offer any comments on these rings? I''ve checked out the princess cut chart on pricescope but am looking for some more feedback. Also, what does the "Cut x.x% PERFECT SQ" mean, anyone?

Would the size difference between princess cuts of these carats and round cuts be very noticeable?

PRINCESS

1. Princess Diamond $1,949.37 CA
Carat 0.58
Colour G
Clarity VS1
Total Depth 71.90
Pavilion Depth 0.00
Table 73.00
Dimensions 4.70*4.56*3.28
Crown Angle 0.00
Pavilion Angle 0.00
Girdle TN-M
Culet N
Fluorescence N
Lustre
Polish G
Symmetry VG
Cut 3.1% PERFECT SQ
Cert GIA

2. Princess Diamond $1,980.66 CA
Carat 0.59
Colour G
Clarity VS1
Total Depth 74.40
Pavilion Depth 0.00
Table 73.00
Dimensions 4.67*4.50*3.35
Crown Angle 0.00
Pavilion Angle 0.00
Girdle VTN-TN
Culet N
Fluorescence N
Lustre
Polish G
Symmetry G
Cut 3.8% SQUARE
Cert GIA

ROUND

1. Carat 0.50 $2,030.55 CA
Colour G
Clarity VS2
Total Depth 60.50
Pavilion Depth 0.00
Table 56.00
Dimensions 5.12X5.16X3.11
Crown Angle 0.00
Pavilion Angle 0.00
Girdle M-TK
Culet N
Fluorescence F
Lustre
Polish GD
Symmetry VG
Cut
Cert GIA

2. Round Diamond $1,929.76 CA
Carat 0.44
Colour F
Clarity VVS2
Total Depth 62.40
Pavilion Depth 0.00
Table 56.00
Dimensions 4.87-4.88x3.04
Crown Angle 0.00
Pavilion Angle 0.00
Girdle stk
Culet N
Fluorescence N
Lustre
Polish VG
Symmetry VG
Cut Ideal Ags0
Cert GIA

Thanks for your time.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Hello & welcome!
1.gif

My first thought on the stones you've presented is that they are all very high color and clarity; you may be able to achieve a very white, clean looking stone with a G/H color and VS2-SI1 clarity...? This would allow you to either save some more money or go a bit bigger in size.

Also, the perfect square indicates the stone is just that--a perfect or very near perfect square versus a rectangular princess, where one set of sides is longer in proportion to the other.

Good luck & do a search here on princesses to learn more.

eyesoftexas

Shiny_Rock
After looking at a whole bunch of "square" type of diamonds here is what I would recommend beyond just looking at numbers. I would get an ideal scope (www.ideal-scope.com) for $25 and compare the diamonds for light leakage. If you are buying on the internet then have them give you the light leakage report. If you go to www.goodoldgold.com (I am not affiliated with them in any way!!) you can look at their princess cuts and queen of hearts for really nice diamonds that include the light leakage pictures. I found that there was a HUGE difference among diamonds regarding the light return especially in the lower budget range. This would be where I would start.

liminal

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info... I will definitely look into it more.

Do you think those are fair prices for those stones?

viscera912

Shiny_Rock
hi liminal,

I am in the same situation as you as far as getting a princess cut and a limited budget. I cannot give you any feedback on the round diamonds as I have not researched them, however, it seems the prices you qouted for the princess diamonds are a little steep. If you check any of the vendors on this forum or run a search on this site you will find many diamonds cheaper and have roughly the same specs or better. I am hovering around the .60-.65 carat range, g-i color,vs2-si1, and table/depths no more than 73%. In fact if I go down a little bit in carat size I can pick up a very good cut D color princess for upper 1500. Prices for diamonds in that range are nowhere near 1900 (range from 1500-1650ish) if you check the vendors on this forum. So my advice is to keep on looking you will find some better stones for cheaper. If I may ask where did you get these qoutes on the diamonds you listed from? I am by no means an expert on this site, I have just spent hours upon hours reading every thread and posting some questions here every now and then....good luck with your searching!!

Jason

ps
good vendors to check are whiteflash.com, goodoldgold.com, niceice.com, dirtcheapdiamonds.com, and superbcert.com

viscera912

Shiny_Rock
hello again....

I forgot to take into account that you are from Canada. Oooops, I don't know the exchange rate or anything so when I said that those prices sounds steep, scratch it. Since I don't know what 1900 dollars canadian is I don't really know if it is pricey. It could possibly be great prices, either way, I would still run a search and see what you come up with. Sorry for my lack of attention skills...
rolleyes.gif
...I attribute it to finals week here at school
angryfire.gif

Jason

liminal

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

Those 19xx prices would roughly be just under $1500 USD, for a rough exchange.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results