shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Diamond Search from Bermuda - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bermudajem

Rough_Rock
Hello, This is my first post on this site and I believe my 3rd post anywhere so thanks to all those that reply. I hope it is in the right area. I currently live in Bermuda where there is not a large selection of diamonds hence I have had to focus my search online. I am stressed! It has been going quite well, however I wanted to know if people think maybe I should book a trip to stay with a friend and go look at diamonds in New York at Diamond Alley or whatever the name is? Yes I would be able to see the actual ring but would I actually save any money or would I end up paying more and waste a trip?

I am looking for a princess cut stone 2 Carat, G-H, VS1 - VS2, Premium Cut, and 72% depth/ table 70% with a crown of about 10%. I have found a few online which meet my budget and criteria at $15,000. I checked with a friend in New York and she said I would pay about $20,000 for the same ring there. I also guess if I do not like it I can return it if purchased online, most places are 30 days so if I ordered middle of December that should be fine.
Any feedback regarding how I should be a better shopper online or if I should spend the money $400 and go to New York for the weekend would be appreciated? I have asked for Ideal Scope images from a few places but no luck they offered to send it to an appraiser specifically ICE Store but they work with an appraiser at their recommendation, I am not questioning their credibility just wondering if there is any benefit to them offering to send it to their appraiser.

Also would a good SI stone have anything noticeable in a princess setting as well as color say H as opposed to G? (I know this has been posted before but just felt I would ask)
I have found some great sites thanks to this which are more cost effective then Blue Nile and I am very thankful to everyone that replies to my post in advance. More then you will ever know as spending 10 hours a day for the past 6 days has almost caused a breakdown and has consumed me. I just want it to be right as she has waited 5 years for me.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey bermudajem
35.gif
welcome to ps and congratulations on your upcoming engagement!
it looks like you have been doing your homework and you know what you are looking for. the one thing that is important when looking for diamonds, is to be open minded. i would loosen up the criteria a bit, especially the depth, table and crown percentages. there is no need to be so stringent with those numbers as great combinations can fall outside of those ranges and you are really limiting yourself in an already limited search. if you want to narrow the search, look for ags graded diamonds that score ''0'' in light performance. you will be guaranteed a winner.
2.gif
also, you will be fine looking at si stones with a well cut princess. the sparkle will hide any inclusions very well. you are also safe looking at ''h'' color stones, you may even want to consider ''i'' color to maximize your budget.
don''t pack your bags and go to ny yet, i think you may still be able to find your diamond online without too much effort.

best of luck!

Bermudajem

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your reply, I have noticed your posts and you are very kind to take the time.

One last question without inconveniencing you. Would you be able to recommend someone that I might be able to pay say for an hour telephone consultation regarding this? It might be an odd request but the ability to ask all questions and also give them some ideas of the rings I am looking at could be beneficial. Basically I want to know how much bigger a 2.0K would be as opposed to a 1.5K princess and also how big each would look versus a similar round.

I am looking at the following right now :

$10,695.00 Item Available - Ready to ship

Item Code: AGS-7608502

. Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above Princess
. Carat: 1.525
. Depth %: 74.8
. Table %: 69.1
. Crown Angle: 41.6
. Crown %: 12.5
. Pavilion Angle: 40
. Pavilion %: 59.4
. Girdle: Thin to Medium
. Measurements: 6.28-6.22X4.65
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible
Cost : $10,700

or

Item Code: 10577373

. Report: GIA
. Shape: Princess
. Carat: 2.01
. Depth %: 74.5
. Table %: 66
. Girdle: TN-STK
. Measurements: 6.80-6.70X4.99
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Excellent
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: None
Cost : $13,600

The AGS 2.0K Ideal is about $22,000 and out of my range some maybe a 1.6K AGS Ideal while the other is GIA. I would gladly pay someone to discuss this information. I would like 2K but if the AGS looks better then why not.

BZ

Rough_Rock
Hello Bermudajem. Welcome to PS. I just have a quick question for you. Are you planning to ship the diamond/ring into Bermuda? I''m pretty sure you will have to pay some heavy duty import tax. Can you have it shipped to your friend in New York and then pick it up yourself? It might be worth the $400 plane ticket to New York to pick-up the ring. Althouch, speaking from experience, Bermuda can be pretty tough on you if they find out you brought something into the country without claiming it.

Good luck with your search. I will leave the diamond advice to the experts.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2006 10:39:07 AM
Author: Bermudajem

Thanks so much for your reply, I have noticed your posts and you are very kind to take the time.

you''re welcome!
2.gif

One last question without inconveniencing you. Would you be able to recommend someone that I might be able to pay say for an hour telephone consultation regarding this? It might be an odd request but the ability to ask all questions and also give them some ideas of the rings I am looking at could be beneficial. Basically I want to know how much bigger a 2.0K would be as opposed to a 1.5K princess and also how big each would look versus a similar round.

no inconvenience whatsoever, that''s what we''re here for! i would suggest calling the vendor to talk with them about what you want. you can also post information here and you will get some help. if you post the specs for each of the diamonds that you are interested in, i can make models of the diamonds so you can compare them size wise.
2.gif

I am looking at the following right now :

$10,695.00 Item Available - Ready to ship

Item Code: AGS-7608502

. Report: AGS
. Shape: A Cut Above Princess
. Carat: 1.525
. Depth %: 74.8
. Table %: 69.1
. Crown Angle: 41.6
. Crown %: 12.5
. Pavilion Angle: 40
. Pavilion %: 59.4
. Girdle: Thin to Medium
. Measurements: 6.28-6.22X4.65
. Light Performance: 0
. Polish: Ideal
. Symmetry: Ideal
. Culet: Pointed
. Fluorescence: Negligible
Cost : $10,700

or

Item Code: 10577373

Cost : $13,600

The AGS 2.0K Ideal is about $22,000 and out of my range some maybe a 1.6K AGS Ideal while the other is GIA. I would gladly pay someone to discuss this information. I would like 2K but if the AGS looks better then why not.

no need to pay someone for information, it''s all free here!
36.gif

both of those stone look like potential winners. get the dimensions for the other one you are interested in and i will post some comparisons for you.

Bermudajem

Rough_Rock
Thanks BZ, When I bring back the stone it will be on her finger as my brother who lives in New York is going to bring it home to Toronto and then make it happen there. It is a lot of logistics I know but there is no way I want to pay 30% duty. Regarding the stones I have the following picked out. If all goes according to plan. The stones I am thinking of are :

From Whiteflash (I can not get a report without requesting) When I see a report and it has SI then I see these lines on the diamonds I get freaked out.

2.01 ct H SI1 Princess
$13,522.00

Here are two from exceldiamonds in my price range as well. I will need to pay the sales tax if I ship in to New York but I read such good things. Both are 0.

Cost : $14,520
General Specifications
Item # : 29160W
Carat : 2.01
Clarity : SI1
Color : H
AGS Specifications Measurements : 7.1 x 6.77 x 5.04
Depth : 74.5
Table : 66.6%
Girdle : Slightly Thick to Thick
Culet : None
Polish : Ideal
Symmetry : Ideal
Fluorescence : None

Cost : $13,769
General Specifications
Item # : 31303W
Carat : 2.05
Clarity : VS2
Color : I
AGS Specifications
Certificate Number : 7531601
Measurements : 7.14 x 7.04 x 5.01
Depth : 71.2
Table : 64.2%
Girdle : thin to slightly thick
Culet : None
Polish : Ideal
Symmetry : Ideal
Fluorescence : None

In the last option would I be noticeable? I feel like I have a detention deficit syndrome and am all over the map. Thanks Belle and anyone that replies.

BZ

Rough_Rock
Very relieved to hear you say that. We got hit with taxes when entering Bermuda to live there. Not a nice welcome to your new home. I used to get an upset stomach each time I returned to the island with my bags full of items purchased in the states.

You are in good hands here. Enjoy your search.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t get freaked out by si stones (i know, easier said than done!) they can help save $$ that can go into size!
2.gif
i have an si stone and i LOVE it. it has a little feather that you can only see under a loupe, so i know it''s mine when i go to look!
2.gif

there''s not going to be a huge size difference in those stones (they''re all big!) so you will just need to decide what you want to do with your $$.
what kind of setting are you looking at? you won''t notice the ''i'' color from the top but you will see color from the side.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results