shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess - Depth / Table

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akisan

Rough_Rock
I am currently in the market for a princess stone and know very little about it. I have learned a ton by browsing through the forum but one question I have not been able to figure out for myself. I do not want to make such a significant financial decision without being as well informed as I should be!

My question is regarding the relationship between princess table and depth. I have read my posts were there are suggestions regarding princess stones and the relationship between depth and table. In fact a lot of the information seems a little conflicting. some say that table should be less than depth, some the same and other that it should be more.

when looking at these stones, how do you view this relationship.

Thanks.

-Akira

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''m not an expert, but someone on here gave me these tips when looking for my stone.

crown- at least 10%
pavillion- at least in the 50''s-60''s %
table- 60-70%
depth- 70''s %- should be greater than table %

so, for example 67% table and 72% depth would be nice

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Having the table less than the depth is a good start but not necessarily a hard fast rule. Before the AGS princess cuts we''d use certain formula''s including this one to help us stand a better chance of finding a stone with top light performance but we ran into many brick walls as well. To do this by the numbers (not suggested) you''d need to know at the very least 2 sets of crown angles and 2 sets of pavilion angles which most Sarin/OGI machines do not provide. Only Sarin''s that generate 3D models will give you this info or Helium scans. A 3d model of the stone provides one of the best analysis when doing this via the net short of photographs through ASET.

Regards,

akisan

Rough_Rock
Will vendors provide these 3d models if I am seriously considering a stone? To the extent that I could share that with members of the forum, I would be much more comfortable about the purchase.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We, for one, provide a full Sarin 3D-scan with all our stones.

Live long,

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
None of these three stones has any info other than depth and table size. I am sorry, but saying anything, good or bad, about them would be mainly guesswork.

Live long,

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2006 12:22:20 AM
Author: akisan
How do you guys feel about these diamonds?

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1756094.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-1786504.htm
http://dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=9577098

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

-Akira
all of those diamonds have potential. if you are seriously interested, i would call the vendors to decide whether or not you want to have them brought in for further evaluation.

akisan

Rough_Rock
What do you mean exactly by "having the vendors bring the stones in"? As you can tell I am pretty new at this and don''t really know how to move the process forward. I know i can ask some vendors for a 3d image of the stone, but how else can i verify or rather, get more comfortable with the stone?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The stones of Whiteflash are apparently not in-house, since they do not have any extra info like idealscope-pic or Sarin-measurement listed. It means that this stone comes from a ''virtual'' list of a supplier-cutter. In the case of the other stone, it is not clear whether this is a similar case, but it is likely.

In that case, the procedure is to ask your vendor to have the stone called in, so that your vendor can inspect it. Make sure to ask about the expenses involved in this process.

I hope that this is somewhat clear.

Live long,

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
One way to minimize the guess work element is to look at the vendors selection where they have ideal-scope and more data.
These stones are the ones they are prepared to invest in - and guess why?

They will cost more - but are likley to be better value.

akisan

Rough_Rock
So does whiteflash have idealscope for any of the stones? Or are there other vendors that I should look for that have idealscopes for all of the stones listed?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 2:40:30 AM
Author: akisan
So does whiteflash have idealscope for any of the stones? Or are there other vendors that I should look for that have idealscopes for all of the stones listed?
all of the stones you listed are ''virtual''. the diamond dealer has them off in a vault somewhere.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/12/1/Why-are-there-several-dealers-offering-the-exact-same-stone.aspx
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/32/1/Getting-information--In-stock-diamonds-versus-diamonds-located-with-suppliers.aspx

if these are the particular stones you are interested in, you would need to have them sent to a vendor to get idealscope images and magnified photos.

akisan

Rough_Rock
Guys, I appreciate all the help. I think I am pretty serious about this diamond. I have attached as much information as available on the site.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1967/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/items/1967/pr1520hsi16818109.srn

I was unable to upload the scopes but they are available at the bottom of the first link. Are there any characteristics that make this stone unattractive? I have read that clarity of SI1 should still lead to an attractive princess, is this true?

Thanks in advance.

-Akira

Honeyfly

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I too am in the search for a nice princess, it''s hard work!

To me, the stone above seems to have a fair amount of light leakage, I have seen much better ones. Also, the girdle is 1.49%, that seems quite thin so may be prone to chipping? But I am definitely no expert!

Honeyfly

Rough_Rock
And also, I think you can definitely get some gorgeous SI stones! There''s an entire thread devoted to them somewhere here. I am looking in that range also, as long as inclusions aren''t big and black.

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
We just bought my princess cut on Sat.... I looked and looked on the internet ** drove myself crazy ** then went into stores and looked at them under microscope. From my experience, I would never buy it off them internet. I looked at a lot of diamonds in the stores (20+) and picked the one I personally fell in love with. I did take into account all the technicalities, percentages, etc, but in the end, I picked the diamond I liked. They are all shaped very differently as far as depth and width, etc, and you don''t need the GIA certificate to tell that!!! Find a jeweler that going to treat you "right" - it may be hard, but you can do it. As you will see below, my depth is only 60% but I loved the shaped of the diamond because it has more of the "square footage" is at the top which makes the diamond look bigger - up to 1.75 or 2 carats even. This diamond on paper would not be considered the ideal cut but I love it and we bought it!!!

1.5 carat
6.58x6.57x3.94
depth 60%
table 75%
girdle Slightly thick
polish VG
sym GD
color F
clarity VS2

Good Luck!

akisan

Rough_Rock
I couldn''t agree with you more, there''s nothing like seeing a diamond in person. I got a chance today to a look at a set of diamonds in person and I couldn''t be more happy that I did. At first I was really focused on the stats and so on, but even though sometimes the stats show one to be "better", when you look at it there''s a world of difference.

I may have found a stone in the store that I liked. Just have to make sure that the pricing is reasonable.

Honeyfly, I too have found princess stones to be quite difficult and it appears to be consensus that it is not an easy stone to pick out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results