shape
carat
color
clarity

princess cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

toomanyquestions

Rough_Rock
We picked a stone and have had it initially appraised (will get the full appraisal once it is set). Just wanted to find out what people think:
Carat 0.7
Color E
Clarity VVS2
Depth 72.8%
Table 66%
Cert GIA
girdle tn-tk
cutlet no
sym vg
polish vg
flor no
Measurements 4.84x4.82x3.51

The independent appraiser said that he would have given it a VVS1 (only had two pinpoints he could only see at 30x), and the girdle was more medium than thin to thick.
wink2.gif
But, he said the crown was around 18%.
6.gif
I do not recall the angle, but will have that info as soon as the appraizal is complete.
I think it is a very pretty stone, but after reading stuff here, the crown height is very large. I am happy with the stone, but in the pursuit of perfection, I wish I had a brillancescope.
loopy.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Well, the crown is a bit high, but that's a good thing. Usually princesses with higher crowns are more sparkly than those with 4 to 7% crowns... If you like the stone, just don't worry too much about the numbers and enjoy it!
lickout.gif
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is correct Giangi.

This sounds like a stone that I would take the extra effort to call in and do an optical analysis on. If crown heights are lower than 10% I usually pass em up (some 9%) but what is most critical is WHAT PAVILION is being coupled with that crown height of 18%. The possibility exists of the pavilion being too shallow. But if the pavilion is right (if you can get info on the pavilion depth/angles) you'll have a rare princess. Finding the right crown/pavilion combo's is the key. You should DEFINETELY have it appraised by a pro like Rich, RockDoc or Dave who can provide some type of optical analysis.

Peace,
Jonathan

toomanyquestions

Rough_Rock
Well, I got my ring tonite!!! My boyfriend and I were a bit unconventional, he let me help pick the diamond and the setting, because he wanted to be sure I was happy.
wink2.gif

People here love stats, and I finally have - these are from the appraiser:
Carat 0.7/Color E/Clarity VVS2
Total Depth 71.99%
Pavilion Depth 52.7%
Table Diameter 66.39%
girdle 3.52%
Crown Angle 43.17
Crown Height 15.77
sym vg/polish vg/flor no
I cannot believe the cut is a 3A, because it does have a lot of life!! But, my appraiser was James Jolliff, the executive director of NAJA, and he assured us that those charts are purely a guide, not a bible. We had used the chart to 'pick' a stone (final stone from Abazias, Oscar was great!), but used our eyes to choose the stone that 'spoke' to us. This stone was more beautiful than any we saw at the B&M stores that we were originally considering, but, as others have found, salespeople were not very open with the stats of the stones, as they are on the net.

I know this stone is small in comparison to what others on this board purchase, but I am a simple girl with simple tastes. I actually think this looks huge on my 6.5 finger!!
6.gif
I will attempt to take additional pictures if the sun ever does come out - this one certainly does not do the stone justice!!!

princess_rpd.JPG

LadyHawk

Rough_Rock
TMQ-
Your ring is gorgeous!!! I am such a fan of princess cut diamonds and so jealous!!
Enjoy it good health and the very best to you and your fiance!!
MHLady

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results