shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut with 58% table a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Greg G

Rough_Rock
From the GIA Report:

Measurements: 6.12 x 6.01 x 4.36
Weight: 1.3c
Clarity: VS2
Color: G
No fluorescence
Proportions:
Depth: 72%
Table: 58%
Girdle: Medium
Cutlet: None
Finish:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good

Comments:
Additional clouds are not shown.
Symbol (number) is present on the girdle.

Cost: $7900

I hadn’t seen a princess cut with such a small table before but I think it looked pretty cool with the sloping front. Using my new ideal scope it did seem to be pretty leaky. The guy at the store said it was because the ideal scope was not so good for princess cuts. I decided to just throw in the towel and have him mount the cz calibration stone and be done with it (ok, so I didn’t do that…). He said the small table was done on purpose and was something that was being played with on Polar Bear Canadian diamonds to make it sparkle a bit more like a round cut. Does that make sense? Should the small table scare me away? He didn’t have a Sarin report for me to check out though if I want to pursue it I could ask him for one (or something similar). Is this enough information for any conclusions to be reached?

-Greg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
While having a smaller table than total depth isn't a bad start it's certainly not enough to make to make a critical judgment with respect to light return.

The most critical things to consider besides that is the relation of 3 pavilion angles and 3 crown angles. I have found that the limited #'s given even on Sarin reports can be tricky and misleading. A fairly recent stone we examined had a 72 depth with a 68 table. On paper ... off to a good start. End result ... no so ideal. http://www.goodoldgold.com/princess_1_27ct_d_vs1.htm

Optical analysis is crucial in the selection of princess cuts *if* overall brilliancy and light return are important in your purchase.

Glad you're having fun with the idealscope.

Rhino

soda

Rough_Rock
wow thats the first time i've ever seen a poor princess bscope report. I thought for a minute, every princess scored high
2.gif

did the 6.5% crown height really suprise you?

Tall crown 10%+
small table 58-63%
normal depth 67-70%

seem to be what everyone is selling with very high brilliance scope reports. You can take a look at diamondoptics.com search and see all of their "premier" rocks fall in the category eh?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results