shape
carat
color
clarity

princess cut support bar ??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, just wondering if anyone has done something interesting with the horizontal bar that often supports a princess cut diamond? I am thinking of pave diamond setting perhaps to disguise it a little (does everyone know the bar I mean or is there another technical term I should be using?) My jeweller is recommending that I keep the bar for stone security but personally I was really hoping the sides to be open with no bar. Thanks

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Depending on the shape of your crown and the size of your diamond you do not always need the bar. However in your design it soudns like it is necessary so you can put small microset diamonds on it. I am posting an example of such a ring as well as examples of rings with no bars at all to give you food for thought

Design 74 princess.jpg

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Here is an example of a setting with no horizontal bar

Design 19 princess cut diamond ring.jpg

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, thanks for your help on that. The design is the Lucida crossover which usually does have the bar if it''s a princess cut setting. Making it a bit more difficult to micropave is that there is going to be a "surprise" diamond one each of the open sides in a bezel, which I had chosen before I realised it would have the bars as well. In any case, the surprise diamonds are going to be pink, so if I were to use diamonds on the bar as well I think I would have to go with more pinks? It would look really interesting, but not sure if I can get more pink diamonds into the budget! I guess it''s something I could have done later, or do alternating pink and whites ...

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 6:47:33 AM
Author: loveloveloveit
Hi, thanks for your help on that. The design is the Lucida crossover which usually does have the bar if it''s a princess cut setting. Making it a bit more difficult to micropave is that there is going to be a ''surprise'' diamond one each of the open sides in a bezel, which I had chosen before I realised it would have the bars as well. In any case, the surprise diamonds are going to be pink, so if I were to use diamonds on the bar as well I think I would have to go with more pinks? It would look really interesting, but not sure if I can get more pink diamonds into the budget! I guess it''s something I could have done later, or do alternating pink and whites ...
Ah I see now - it sounds lovely.

For the lucida-style, you can have a different shape for the connecting bar - for instance the picture below is the lucida-style crossover with a w-shape for the connecting bar rather than a straight horizontal bar. This picture shows a 1.2+ carat radiant diamond.

Design 38 small radiant.jpg

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
wow, I had been wondering aobut that actually - they knew I didn''t want the straight bar but have only told me that without it the stone security would be compromised however they haven''t suggested any other shape. I am so glad you have shown me that photo, thank you so much. that shape would work perfectly with the surprise diamonds too as they are small bezel set rounds down in the cross over ... I have a cad of the design but I can''t make it small enough to post unfortunately

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
I glad you like the idea - do post pictures of your ring when you have them as it sounds lovely!

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the final product. The bar is slightly curved although I am still wondering whether i could do away with it altogether as I''ve noticed it might be getting dirty in behind it. That might be a major alteration though!

finalengsideth.jpg

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! your ring looks lovely with the surprise diamond.
As your jeweller has explained a connecting bar is required to give strength.
Hopefully you will be so dazzled by your diamond on wearing it that you will be too busy looking from the top to focus on the side view and when you do look at the side view, your eye gets drawn to the surprise diamond more than the connecting bar.

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
thanks Indira-London - I would be keen to know what size/specs I would need to have on a princess, to not have to have the connecting bar. I don''t know whehter it comes down to the stone so much or the design? any advice much appreciated.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
There is not a size issue - its a question of the design of the ring.
The first picture I posted has a diamond that is 1.3+ carat in a V-shaped crown with no connecting bar. I have sold this same design with 2+ and larger carat weight diamonds!

Your lucida design is totally different style of ring so you cannot really apply the same rules

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results