shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Specification Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stoneferry

Rough_Rock
Hi all, the time has come for me to make a purchase, it's been interesting looking into how the diamond industry works and how retail stores astronomically overprice low grade diamonds. I know enough about princess cuts at the moment to not get ripped off, but not quite enough to get the cut I want (Ideal, ideally).

Please can you tell me what you think to these Princess cuts, all 0.5 carat:

Colour: F
Clarity: VS1
Polish: V.Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Depth: 71.7
Table: 71
Measurements: 4.36-4.35x3.12

Colour: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 74.4
Table: 71
Measurements: 4.34-4.33x3.22

Colour: E
Symmetry: Good
Depth: 68.2
Table: 72
Measurements: 4.52-4.5x3.07

Polish: Good
Depth: 70.9
Table: 72
Measurements: 4.47-4.4x3.12

Clarity: VS2
Depth: 74.4
Table: 67
Measurements: 4.5-4.29x3.19

Depth: 74.8
Table: 69
Measurements: 4.43-4.24x3.17

They all have ideal cut depths, however only one at the moment has an ideal cut table, the second to last one. I'm leaning towards this one at present. In order to assess a princess ideal cut you need to know the angles, and this is where I fall over a bit. These are all GIA certified, and I have access to the certificate numbers, prehaps the angles could be retrieved from these online?

I've included the 'measurements', something else I'm not sure about. What is it?

Thanks in advance for helping me make my decision
emsmile.gif

Note: I know some of you are resellers in the US, and even though your diamonds look excellent and include listed AGS0s due to my location in Europe carriage from the US is financially infeasible due to cost, taxes and customs charges.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Futile. Sorry we can't help more.

Try Paul Sledgers, Infinity Diamonds, and see if he has something or if they can cut you one.

The excellent symmetry marks are pretty rare, though. I'm pretty surprised that 5/6 of your stones listed have ex symm.

Stoneferry

Rough_Rock
Thank you Julie for those comments, the lack of crown and pavillion angles means I cannot assess the cut.

The links to the websites you gave me (Sledger and Infinity are both the same btw) is a cutter in Belgium, however all resellers are in the US so that won''t help. I guess I''ll have to go for a lottery with one of these, since the information is not available from the GIA certificates.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He has worked directy with clients in Europe before, do not know if it was a special case, but can''t hurt to ask.

Sorry, I meant Paul Sledgers OF Infinity Diamonds, not and.
2.gif

Only thing to do is to get rid of stones with extreme girdle measurements. Anything with "very" or "extremely," you can get rid of.

Stoneferry

Rough_Rock
Do you have a link to the ideal Pavillion and Crown angles as I seem to have lost the link I had.

Is Pavillion ever called anything else? There''s a cut guideline on here by Dave Somthing, but I can''t seem to find Pavillion angle on there. There is Square range, Rectangular range and Girdle thickness. I know the girdle is the bit in the middle which gets the certificate licesnse number, this isn''t the Pavillion is it?

What are the ''measurements'' I keep seeing on certificates?

Thanks for your continued help.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2007 5:24:31 AM
Author: Stoneferry
Do you have a link to the ideal Pavillion and Crown angles as I seem to have lost the link I had.

Is Pavillion ever called anything else? There's a cut guideline on here by Dave Somthing, but I can't seem to find Pavillion angle on there. There is Square range, Rectangular range and Girdle thickness. I know the girdle is the bit in the middle which gets the certificate licesnse number, this isn't the Pavillion is it?

What are the 'measurements' I keep seeing on certificates?

Thanks for your continued help.
Too complicated, plus you don't have the C/P angles nor any way to find them.

Dave Atlas, AGA cut classes. No pav angle listed on cut classes for princesses because of reasons above.

The pavilion is the pyramid shaped part.

The first two measurements are the lengths of the short side and the long side in mm. The third is the total depth of the stone in mm. Table and depth percentages are percentage of the short side.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2007 5:07:59 AM
Author: JulieN
He has worked directy with clients in Europe before, do not know if it was a special case, but can''t hurt to ask.

Sorry, I meant Paul Sledgers OF Infinity Diamonds, not and.
2.gif

Only thing to do is to get rid of stones with extreme girdle measurements. Anything with ''very'' or ''extremely,'' you can get rid of.
I just wanted to point out for ease of contacting Paul, is appears his surname is spelled Slegers.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results