shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Solitaire Setting w/o V-Prongs? Help please!

Anomalant

Rough_Rock
Hello!!

I have WF bringing in a 1.04 ct VS2, F, ex, ex, table 70.0, depth 71, girdle slightly thick - Princess. They are going to send me the ASET images in the next 24 hrs and I will post when they are available. However, I need your help with the setting! I don't have much experience/understanding with the way settings work.

I was hoping to get something simple like a solitaire but I am not a fan of the way the v-prongs frame the corners of the diamonds. I realize they are to help protect the corners from chipping but are there any alternatives? I am open to other settings but I'd like to keep it fairly simple and elegant. I've mostly reviewed solitaire and pave' settings.

Any suggestions or direction would be appreciated!!

Rock on.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Princess Cut Solitaire Setting w/o V-Prongs? Help please

you can get normal prongs if you don't like the look of the V prongs. I would just advise to get bead prongs or something slightly larger than the uber-skinny claw prongs so the corners are protected. if the V-tips are done well they can be rather delicate

Anomalant

Rough_Rock

I haven't seen any examples with normal prongs/bead prongs. Perhaps I need to see a picture of more delicate v-prongs because in pictures I've seen they seem to be a bit distracting. Any suggestions?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock

My setting just has the beads in the corners. They are very small. I am also not a huge fan of the v prongs. I feel like they distract from the stone.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Agree 100%. I don't like V-prongs and would only get them if my stone had a girdle that was very thin at the corners. I got very thin double bead-like prongs and haven't had a problem.

Anomalant

Rough_Rock

The diamond I am looking at is from white flash and has a slightly thick girdle (between 3.0 & 4.0). I am interested to hear what those with the beaded prongs say. The stone feels securely set in your ring? I am looking at whiteflash but I don't see any beaded options for the solitaire selection they have. I've looked at whiet gold and platinum and I'm not sure what direction to take that either. I've received input on both sides of the fence. Being that my g/f likes things with a little character, I'm leaning toward platinum. I think a few dings and a little wear might be something she would like. Any thoughts on metal and on where I can get beaded prongs?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock

If you let Whiteflash know you want beaded prongs, it should be no big deal to revise the prongs to beaded instead of V. I feel completely secure with the beaded prongs. My stones is 1.51 carat and I have no worries. I get the prongs checked a couple of times a year and I have had no issues for the almost 10 years I have worn my ring. Mine is in platinum as I would rather deal with getting a couple scratches buffed out versus my ring getting a yellow cast and having to get it dipped in Rhodium. But it's a personal preference kinda thing...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results