shape
carat
color
clarity

princess cut question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sampooki

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if someone can tell me how small or large or just right a princess cut diamond is with the width of 5.80 and length 5.50. I don''t know the depth but the carat is a 1.21. Is there anyway to tell if this diamond is a good size for the carat weight with ony the width and length?? Sorry I have no other info.

mosher

Rough_Rock

There are to many variables you are better of looking at the total depth and the table size IE +/- 70/70%

with a girdle of around 3% and crown of 12%, if the stone has similar parameters the rest will fall into line.

Good luck

sampooki

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help. I guess I can''t really get an answer without all the specs.. I was just wondering because i have seen 1.21ct with width of much wider like 6.0mm so i was hoping my diamond won''t look too small.. Not sure if table plays a part in how big it looks either.
23.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Depth. If it''s too deep, it will appear smaller because much of the weight of the diamond when it was cut is hidden down below. The consumer thinks in terms of just weight, because that is generally considered something that solely increases the value. Proportion, due to better cut, will determine the appearance of a larger stone or not. If the table is larger than the depth, then you risk a lifeless glassy stone. Depth can be larger than the table, but not a lot larger, for good spread. Something around 70 depth and table is a good guideline, but I have seen some real beauties in the 75 range, too.

sampooki

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the info. So I guess my last question is, is 5.80mm x 5.50mm going to look rectangular rather than square for my diamond?? I mean can you tell by the naked eye?

sampooki

Rough_Rock
i got my specs for the diamond I bought. Is this an ok diamond?

Weight 1.21 ct.
Shape RECT. MOD. BRILL.
Color G
Clarity SI2
Measurements 5.8 x 5.5 x 4.45 mm
Depth 80.9
Table 74.0
Crown 12.0
Pavilion 63.3
Girdle THIN TO THICK POLISHED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
probably not. but you probably didn''t pay that much, either.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
if you search the "inhouse" listings here on the page 1/2 way up you will get a spread value that compares each stone to the surface area of a Tolkowsky round brilliant.
From that you will see the range for princess cuts

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 11:52:01 PM
Author: justjulia

Depth. If it''s too deep, it will appear smaller because much of the weight of the diamond when it was cut is hidden down below. The consumer thinks in terms of just weight, because that is generally considered something that solely increases the value. Proportion, due to better cut, will determine the appearance of a larger stone or not. If the table is larger than the depth, then you risk a lifeless glassy stone. Depth can be larger than the table, but not a lot larger, for good spread. Something around 70 depth and table is a good guideline, but I have seen some real beauties in the 75 range, too.
Although we typically associate depth with spread in rounds the matter of depth and spread in a princess is not the same because the faceting is different/more variable. Two princess cuts could conceivably have the same mm spread and carat weight - but one with a depth of 65% and the other with a depth of 75% - so greater depth does not necessarily mean it will look smaller.

Here are here.

sampooki

Rough_Rock
this is the picture of my engagement ring. the diamond in the middle is the one I put up before and this is the setting and wedding band I got together 18k white gold. I paid 6250 for everything~. Did we pay too much?

poo1.jpg

sampooki

Rough_Rock
here''s the band~

poo2.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 7:27:22 PM
Author: sampooki
here''s the band~
Wow, beautiful ring!!! Love the multiple rows of pave!

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 7:21:52 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
if you search the ''inhouse'' listings here on the page 1/2 way up you will get a spread value that compares each stone to the surface area of a Tolkowsky round brilliant.
From that you will see the range for princess cuts

I have noticed that it said "spread" before when I searched but I never knew exactly what it meant. Would you mind elaborating on what this means exactly? I am a novice and would love more information. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results