shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I am new to posting after having been following the threads for a while. I put a deposit down on a ring this morning and had a few questions afterwards (luckily I have 14 days to remove the deposit without an issue). My budget is very small and what I picked out today was visually very good; however after looking at the diamond prices online I have some concern over the cost.

Here is a quick rundown. I had been looking for a square (princess cut) diamond that has a bezel set and small diamonds surrounding the center stone. Sort of like the Tiffany-style rings that you see. I know I''m explaining this poorly, but I had been looking at all the local stores (and online). I had found one that was "ok" at a mall store but it was not graded and had a milky look. The price was cheap, $900 for a 0.46 diamond and setting. Anyway, I went to a local jeweler had a good reputation and they advised that I pick out the setting first and then he brought in three different diamonds. I found the setting I wanted and the three diamonds were 0.53, 0.74 and 0.91 carats, all GIA rated. Of the three, the prices were $1500 - 2200. The 0.74 was the most expensive due to the cut and color (I think it was F or G, VVS1). The 0.91 was 1800 and was IS2 and H color (i believe). The last one was the 0.53 which was H and VS1. I had to rule out the 0.74 due to price limitations. He allowed me to handle the diamonds as much as i wanted to compare the other two. The 0.91 was large enough that a similar setting was needed that was slightly larger. Anyway, I compared the two diamonds against each other both by themselves and in the settings. The 0.53 had so much more brilliancy and lacked the darker look of the larger diamond. Once noting that the setting was going to have to be bigger I ruled it out.

Now, I have looked at how much the 0.53 H VS1 diamond should cost. The "sale" price this weekend at the store was $1500. Online, for the same characteristics, the prices have ranged from 700 to 1700 with the majority being closer to the 1000 mark. It seems like the diamond was highly marked up. To complicate matters, the setting seems to be reasonably priced at $750 (again, based on what I could find that was comparable online). My question is whether the high diamond price should be a concern. The total is $2250 but if the diamond is overpriced I''m concerned that I will try to buy online without seeing the diamond and end up not satisfied.

I have copied the GIA specs just in case they matter (I really don''t fully understand all of the dimensions).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jim

Report Type: GIA Diamond Dossier® Date of Issue: January 18, 2008

Laser Inscription Registry: GIA 16701874

Rectangular Modified Brilliant

Measurements: 5.03 x 4.45 x 2.77 mm

Carat Weight: 0.53

Color Grade: H

Clarity Grade: VS1

Proportions:

Depth: 62.2 %

Table: 74 %

Girdle: Extremely Thin to Slightly Thick

Culet: None

Finish:

Polish: Good

Symmetry: Good

Fluorescence: None

Clarity Characteristics: Feather, Chip

JasonFaber

Rough_Rock

Proportions:

Finish:

This is an OK diamond all the way up to where it says Chip. You do not want to buy a diamond that has a chip as it has the potential to chip even more. I am sure you can find a better deal just by looking on Pricescope for the diamond you want.

What you want to look for is;

Symmetry/Polish: very good or better

Table: under 70%

Depth: 68-75%

Girdle: the same all around or close to it (not vthin to vthick)

What is the price range and the weight of the carat you are looking for? Perhaps some of us can do some looking for you as well...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 11:30:31 PM
Author:aveda6
Hello, I am new to posting after having been following the threads for a while. I put a deposit down on a ring this morning and had a few questions afterwards (luckily I have 14 days to remove the deposit without an issue). My budget is very small and what I picked out today was visually very good; however after looking at the diamond prices online I have some concern over the cost.

Here is a quick rundown. I had been looking for a square (princess cut) diamond that has a bezel set and small diamonds surrounding the center stone. Sort of like the Tiffany-style rings that you see. I know I''m explaining this poorly, but I had been looking at all the local stores (and online). I had found one that was ''ok'' at a mall store but it was not graded and had a milky look. The price was cheap, $900 for a 0.46 diamond and setting. Anyway, I went to a local jeweler had a good reputation and they advised that I pick out the setting first and then he brought in three different diamonds. I found the setting I wanted and the three diamonds were 0.53, 0.74 and 0.91 carats, all GIA rated. Of the three, the prices were $1500 - 2200. The 0.74 was the most expensive due to the cut and color (I think it was F or G, VVS1). The 0.91 was 1800 and was IS2 and H color (i believe). The last one was the 0.53 which was H and VS1. I had to rule out the 0.74 due to price limitations. He allowed me to handle the diamonds as much as i wanted to compare the other two. The 0.91 was large enough that a similar setting was needed that was slightly larger. Anyway, I compared the two diamonds against each other both by themselves and in the settings. The 0.53 had so much more brilliancy and lacked the darker look of the larger diamond. Once noting that the setting was going to have to be bigger I ruled it out.

Now, I have looked at how much the 0.53 H VS1 diamond should cost. The ''sale'' price this weekend at the store was $1500. Online, for the same characteristics, the prices have ranged from 700 to 1700 with the majority being closer to the 1000 mark. It seems like the diamond was highly marked up. To complicate matters, the setting seems to be reasonably priced at $750 (again, based on what I could find that was comparable online). My question is whether the high diamond price should be a concern. The total is $2250 but if the diamond is overpriced I''m concerned that I will try to buy online without seeing the diamond and end up not satisfied.

I have copied the GIA specs just in case they matter (I really don''t fully understand all of the dimensions).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jim

Proportions:

Finish:

A chip inclusion with VS1 clarity is not necessarily an issue, but it is always best to have the diamond checked out by an independant pro.

My main concern with this diamond is that the table is considerably greater than the depth. Usually the reverse is preferred. Also the girdle being ex thin could be a potential durability issue so I would want an independant expert to check it out. There really aren''t any numbers you can use to guarantee a well cut Princess. What I would do if you like this particular diamond, make the sale final on it checking out to your satisfaction in all aspects with an independant appraisal. But before you commit, I recommend you look at some diamonds of known cut quality such as AGS0 Princess ( Jareds sell them) to see how this one compares. You may well prefer the look of a Princess which has a smaller table than the depth.

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
Thank you very much for the responses. I am very grateful for any advice on this subject. I realized after posting that the salesman never mentioned the GIA report, only that one existed. I had to find it on the web myself as the number was on the paperwork. The chip is what had me worried when I printed the report. I am now looking on pricescope for a better option. The problem I''m finding is that I can seem to find the setting I want from the vendors online. I''ll definitely keep looking and see what I can find as well as research the forums a bit more.

jim

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
I think I may have found some ideas for settings on JamesAllen. I am interested in the following

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/ring/item_412-2085.asp

Somehow I missed it the first time around. It''s very similar to the one I looked at at the jewelry store yesterday but it''s quite a bit more expensive. I''m not sure exactly why it''s more but at least I can pick out a diamond that is a good match. I would prefer a 0.5 ct diamond and was wondering what I should look for. I would like to go larger but my girlfriend definitely does not want a bigger ring (lucky for me, but I''d rather get a better smaller diamond than a larger less quality one).

Any suggestions? Also, would you recommend platinum over white gold since the prices are so close to each other?

Thank you in advance...

jim

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to describe the setting you found and like. There are several PSers that are very good at tracking down settings. Maybe someone
can find it for you.

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I just noticed I must have posted my last message right before you did. I am looking for a setting that is similar to the Legacy rings by Tiffany.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget...?

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
Hi JulieN....

Unfortunately I don''t have much of a budget. I was planning on spending around $2500. I was able to find some choices on JamesAllen but I''ll keep looking.

jim

aveda6

Shiny_Rock
JulieN,

Thank you for the link. I do really like the look of this ring. Unfortunately 1 ct is beyond my reach but I could definitely call and ask if a smaller diamond is possible. Additionally, I had found a similar one on Excel and posted a seperete link but no one has yet responded. I don''t know much about Excel other than what I found in a search of pricescope but I really like that you can see the diamonds on GOG, WF and JA. I would be more comfortable if that were the case on excel.

jim

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results