shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Quality/Size Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

truegem

Rough_Rock

I am in the market for a princess cut diamond and found a stone with the characteristics listed below. I have looked online at other 1.5ct princess cut diamonds with similar weight, width percentages, and depth percentages but all of the stones I found are larger than 6.1mm. Should I be concerned with the measurements of the stone? Would the narrower width of the stone listed below have a negative effect on the cut rating and visual quality of the diamond? How much would the narrower width change the value of the stone? Other concerns?

Overall, should I consider purchasing the diamond?

Size: 1.50 ct
5.98mm x 5.88mm x 4.49mm
Total Depth : 76.1 %
Table Width: 69 %
Crown Ht: 12 %
Pavilion Depth: 58 %
Girdle: Thick
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG

Thank you for your help.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The diamond might look better than others with larger measurements, but it can''t be forecast. You need to determine this by actual examination or have the light on this and the competing stones measured by one of the new tools in the industry that determine light performance. Even when you have measured the light performance, your personal preference will be the determining factor. You just might like one diamond more than the others even if the machines tell you something negative.

For sure, the widths of this diamond are small for 1.50ct weight. You are paying for weight that no one will be able to appreciate. This is why princess cuts look less costly than round diamonds. Its tricky to compare cost and visual size to one another and it fools lots of people into mistaking what is or isn''t a bargain.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you aren't able to see this diamond in person, or at least have a great return policy, you should make sure that the vendor offers idealscope images of the stone to know what quality level you are looking at.
.12mm overall isn't a huge disparity to be worried about.
34.gif

truegem

Rough_Rock
Other than the measurements of the diamond being smaller, Should I be concered with the small spread having other negative effects on quality?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It isn''t quality so much as value. One ight say there is less visual effect and that is a defect. Othere will view depth as part of the price adjustment.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 12:45:37 PM
Author: oldminer
It isn''t quality so much as value. One ight say there is less visual effect and that is a defect. Othere will view depth as part of the price adjustment.
That was worded really well.

I would look up princess cuts of similar top dimensions and see what the stone really faces up as. Then I would compare the pricing for that particular carat weight. That way you are somewhat closer to seeing if it is fairly priced

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Worded well, but I missed the typos. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results