shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Q

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I''d like to begin by thanking everyone that contributes to this interesting & informative forum - thanks for sharing your knowledge and advice with those of us that can use it!

This is my first post. My boyfriend & I are looking for the e-ring stone & came across this one that we''re interested in:

2.55ct VS2 / table: 63 / depth: 70 / girdle: M / VG pol & sym.

I''m happy with everything except the depth - wondering if it''s too deep in relation to the table?

Please share your thoughts - thanks much & Happy Val''s Day to all!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to the AGA standards, this is a TOP cut (1A or 2A. depending on what the missing pavilion depth turnes out) and I have the greatest expectations for the looks of this princess! If the proportions were,t so promissing, I might have added that 70% depth is as much as I would go, but this is such a charmer, it does not seem likely to find much improvement upon it's specs anywhere near or soon.

I do not expect any dissapointment from an IdealScope picture - is there any way to get one? Anyway, this is by no means an easy deal to pass - assuming the color, clarity and price are all Ok with you.
1.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for your response!
21.gif

I've been trying to find an appraiser in NYC that does Imagescopes but haven't had any luck...
seems most don't like to rely on equipment so much as on their eyesite.

I've seen the stone & it's a beaut! The VS2 clarity's exactly what I was looking for... the color's not my ideal but everything's a trade-off in the diamond game unless you're rollin in it
2.gif
. Thanks again!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Hi
wavey.gif

I LOVE princess cuts and although I am no expert, I have been doing my research (I want a three stone in a couple of years for my 10 yr anniv and I am really starting early
2.gif
), and these numbers sound great. Val, who has much more expert knowledge--seems to back up my assumption.

With fancies, esp. princesses, it is best to see the stone in person because the numbers aren't as precise of an indicator of beauty as they are with RBs...and if you've seen this stone and it's a sparkler, it sounds like you've done well.

Many princesses have depths AND tables in the 70s....this one seems very well cut.

Post pics!!! I love the princess cut!
3.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks very much Jennifer! We're going to look at it again tomorrow
21.gif
yay!

Last time we tried to take pics of a stone, we weren't too successful... so the photos may have to wait til it's mounted...?

I'm thinking yellow gold since all my jewelry (including my watch) is yellow gold- still trying to decide btwn 18K & 14K...

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how fun!
love.gif

I can't wait to see pics, set or not!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Alexah,

A 70% depth in a princess cut is no red flag whatsoever. Some of the most beautiful princess cuts have depths up to 76%. Granted the shallower the stone the better the spread will be but what are you after ... spread or sparkle? A 70% depth with a 63% table is a good start but no guarantee of excellent optics. Crown height, crown angles, pavilion depth and pavilion angles are a minimum before I would even attempt to say how beautiful or not the stone is. I've called in and examined many princess cuts and the first thing we do is weed out those of the smaller table/greater total depth, so while that is a good start it is definetely not conclusive. You should consider an appraiser who can perform an optical exam before you lay out your hard earned $$$. The information given is insufficient to make a judgement call, at least for me anyhow.

Peace,

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
What a great experience!
We went to look at the diamond again & the seller had selected two other stones to compare "our" stone to (at my request) both beautifully cut & brilliant. He was very patient as I played nice with the ice
1.gif
it was reassuring being able to look at several stones live.

In the end, went with the 2.55ct and are going to get it appraised soon...

What's fabulous is that we bought from an 'internet' dealer. If you happen to live near one, most likely they'll let you stop by and see the stones live.

So that's the happy update for now... being that the stone is GIA appraised, i don't expect any surprises from the appraisal...

Once it's done, I'd love to recommend the i-net dealer we used- he did not pressure or rush us & was extremely pleasant.

Have a happy day all!
21.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Many thanks again to everyone for their help & encouragement!!
1.gif

We bought the diamond on Tuesday & brought it to David Wolf (highly recommend him if you live in NYC www.justappraisers.com) on Wednesday.

He put the stone in his Megascope & the screen flashed something akin to "STONE IS TOO BIG TO PROCEED"
21.gif
my boyfriend couldn't stop laughing! (It was only his machine acting up- no worries it's "only" 2.55ct).

After a thorough exam, David proclaimed the stone "one of the best princess cuts" he'd ever seen- having only seen "one or two others like it"! 1A! YAAAY!

Last nite we left the stone on the table & when the light hit it, it looked like a star- blinding brilliance & fire! I'm like a proud mama!

After months of research we finally found a stone that has everything we were looking for - thanks again to everyone who posts at Pricescope for all your valuable advice!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!
9.gif

Not that I expected anything less from your description, but it always great to hear such news. Where is the stone from? Can we see it?
wacko.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results