shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut: Lower Depth + Larger table = shallow crown?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Or does it not work that way? I''m just wondering if you have a greater chance of having a more shallow crown/crown angle when you have a larger table (say 70+). Also, I personally tend to look for a tables less than depth...but if you find a princess with say, a 67 depth, does a 69 table automatically mean bad crown?? It''s hard enough finding a nice table, but I find that''s even harder to do when you find a lower depth stones...make ANY sense?
confused.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
? don't mind if I do...bump!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
snore.gif
lol ....

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
sad.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Consider a see saw, when one goes up, the other side goes down, yes? Well angles are always complimentary, as are some measurements, or they are deepdly correlated. If you have a princess with a shallower depth, that in itself means nothing. When you add the table percent, that makes the depth either good in ration or bad. Me personally, I would never go for a stone with a table SIGNIFICANTLY LARGER than the depth, ESPECIALLY on princess, why?

Princess have deeper depths than most stones, with a shallower crown, and a greater table percent than most, That is the nature of it. RBs have more proportioned angles and percents. Princess stones can have slightly larger tables than depths that may look OK, but they are cut for face size, meaning the cornw face facet is large to look like a larger stone than it's carat weight would suggest.

I am not a fan of this look, because some people can call them "aircraft carriers", meaning the table is too large and this causes some problems. One such problem can be the fish eye, or the glassy look of the round ring around the culet that just doesn't sparkle. This is due to bad angles and numbers which don't allow the light coming in to reflect properly. These in my opinion, are stones that support sloppy cutters. Even though it's not an RB, that is why consumers should demand better stones that have SOME precision to them.

Princesses are know to leak light all over, but the worst thing would be to get the table so large that they actaully INCREASE the light leakage even more! Their shape makes them pleasing, but their precision makes them treacherous. It IS possible to find a well cut princess. GOG sells quite a few knock outs from the Show me the Ring pictures I have seen...But you basically have some searchng to do.

Anything that's not H&A will be cut with the least exacting standards, and shaped stones are like looking for an undamaged egg in a henhouse full of elephants. Too many cutters areelephants, and too many diamonds go damaged for light reflection by these guys, but the good eggs are out there...KEEP AT IT!!!!
appl.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU! (finally...hehhehe).... So you think it's a good bet that if you are narrowing down a field, to keep table close to or smaller than depth? I have traditionally excluded any tables larger than depth...My current stone follows that rule...but my stone is about 71 deep...This rule is much harder to follow when you find a princess with a depth of say, 67. Not easy finding a table less than that (unless it's a supercert, etc....$$$) SO....lets say you find a depth of 67...a table of 68-69 (larger than depth) does not nec mean it's going to be a dud. ? . Maybe this is all futile....there is no way to tell until you see it in person?
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results