shape
carat
color
clarity

princess cut keeps getting loose in setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kehaulani

Rough_Rock
Hello, I just purchased 2.23 princess cut diamond that I put into my "old" setting. I got new prongs and in less than a month, this will be the 3rd time I''m going back to the jeweler to get the prongs tightened! Could I just have the wrong size/style prongs?! I have the
"V" type prongs. When I run my finger over the prongs, a couple of them feel rough to the touch. Every time I have to go in to get my diamond tightened, could I be putting my diamond at risk for chipping? Any info will be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2009 1:41:41 PM
Author:kehaulani
Hello, I just purchased 2.23 princess cut diamond that I put into my 'old' setting. I got new prongs and in less than a month, this will be the 3rd time I'm going back to the jeweler to get the prongs tightened! Could I just have the wrong size/style prongs?! I have the
'V' type prongs. When I run my finger over the prongs, a couple of them feel rough to the touch. Every time I have to go in to get my diamond tightened, could I be putting my diamond at risk for chipping? Any info will be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!!
Hi kehaulani

This doesn't sound right...Three times you have needed them tightening in less than a month? I would take the ring to an appraiser or another jeweller to get a second opinion ASAP, this should not be happening so a reliable second opinion on this ring is how I would proceed.

appraiser tool.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap, definitely something is not right with the setting job being done.

ct-appr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ditto. It is possible that there is metal fatigue where the prongs were bent over the stone. Sometimes setters cut the seat (where the stone rests in the setting) too deep and when the prong is bent over the stone the metal is to weak to stay tight. Find a good setter and get it redone. Is the ring insured?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results