shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fikeies

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

This is my first post in these forums and thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

I''ve been working with a local jeweler to help me find a princess cut diamond for the tiffany Novo look alike band he created for me. I originally was going to set this with a radiant cut he had in stock but I think GF prefers a princess so thats what she gets
1.gif

So he''s been looking and came back to me with this princess cut diamond:

GIA
Cert # 16208845
F
VS2
Depth 66.7%
Table 83%
Dimensions are 6.65x6.52x4.35
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Price is $9700 (stone only)

What do you guys think?

I haven''t actually looked at the stone yet but plan on doing that very soon. My concern is with the cut. I couldn''t find on the GIA cert where it tells me the cut rating.

Thank You

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Hello fikeies, welcome to Pricescope.

I'm definitely not a princess expert, but those depth and especially table numbers do not look good to me. GIA only lists cut grade for rounds, which is why you do not find in on the cert.

Here is a good link to give a starting point for numbers on fancy shapes. Just select Princess from the drop down menu.

I would also check out Good Old Gold and do a search for princess cuts. They have a lot of excellent quality stones with good pictures to give you an idea of what you should be looking for in a princess.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 3:28:27 PM
Author:fikeies
Hello everyone,

This is my first post in these forums and thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

I've been working with a local jeweler to help me find a princess cut diamond for the tiffany Novo look alike band he created for me. I originally was going to set this with a radiant cut he had in stock but I think GF prefers a princess so thats what she gets
1.gif

So he's been looking and came back to me with this princess cut diamond:

GIA
Cert # 16208845
F
VS2
Depth 66.7%
Table 83%
Dimensions are 6.65x6.52x4.35
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Price is $9700 (stone only)

What do you guys think?

I haven't actually looked at the stone yet but plan on doing that very soon. My concern is with the cut. I couldn't find on the GIA cert where it tells me the cut rating.

Thank You
Hi there!

Ditto Jet, that table is huge, not a well cut Princess just going by that. Usually it is preferred to have the table on a Princess to be less than the depth, this doesn't guarantee you a well cut diamond but it is a reasonable place to begin with evaluation in the first instance.

You could ask your jeweller if he can show you some AGS0 cut grade Princess if you prefer to buy from a store. AGS are the only lab to grade Princess for cut at this time as Jet mentions. If he cannot source you any and you prefer to continue to work with him then ask him to find the best cut GIA graded diamonds he can to show you, and I recommend viewing some AGS0 Princess in person if you can ( Jareds sell them) in order to have a good comparison of well cut stones to use to evaluate any your jeweller might show you.

Also you could buy an ASET scope which will help you sort ' the wheat from the chaff' when comparing Princess.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=23&ShowAdd=Y

ASET tutorial -

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
That''s good advice as usual from Lorelei re. AGS as well as ASET
36.gif

I just want to sound a note of caution re. using table numbers to analyse a princess cut diamond.
Paul Slegers has written a useful article on how analysing depth in princess cut can be misleading - see
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/21/1/The-matter-of-depth-in-a-princess-cut.aspx
His article explains that table percetages do not work for princess cut diamonds in the same way as they do round brilliant diamonds

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 5:50:06 PM
Author: Indira-London
That''s good advice as usual from Lorelei re. AGS as well as ASET
36.gif

I just want to sound a note of caution re. using table numbers to analyse a princess cut diamond.
Paul Slegers has written a useful article on how analysing depth in princess cut can be misleading - see
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/21/1/The-matter-of-depth-in-a-princess-cut.aspx
His article explains that table percetages do not work for princess cut diamonds in the same way as they do round brilliant diamonds
Thanks Indira, that means a lot coming from you!!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results