shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut - help please with cut specs

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I am seeking any feedback on a princess center stone with the below specs. This stone is preowned (and already set), so I have very limited info about it (only from the GIA cert), and thus have no benefit of an ASET/idealscope, etc. Budget is certainly quite limited, and the ER setting and WB are both very nice for the budget), so I will have no big problems if it seems to face up a bit small and deep. I am just seeking any general advice if any of you kindly see any glaring no-no's from these specs. Thanks so much in advance!

GIA cert.
.92 carat
Princess cut
Color: K
Clarity: VS2

CUT SPECS
Depth: 78.4
Table: 74
Girdle: thin to thick
Polish: very good
Symmetry: good

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi - not much info to go on, but you're right it is a deep stone - maybe the large table will balance it out a bit, but the face-up outline is probably going to be a little bit smaller than it could be. Also, princess cuts tend to show more colour than an equivalent rbc, so a K will be quite noticeable...but if you've seen the stone and don't mind, it's not an issue. The table is quite big, but again if you know what you're getting.
And that's the beauty of diamonds and jewellery...lots of different ideas of what is considered beautiful :) - if you like it and the price is right, go for it.
Just maybe have a good look at the corners (as much as possible) to make sure that none of the points are damaged.
Hope this helps

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA does not grade the cut of princesses.
AGS does.

Find a Princess that got AGS's top cut grade, Ideal or AGS 0.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
ADN|1451344983|3967590 said:
Hi - not much info to go on, but you're right it is a deep stone - maybe the large table will balance it out a bit, but the face-up outline is probably going to be a little bit smaller than it could be. Also, princess cuts tend to show more colour than an equivalent rbc, so a K will be quite noticeable...but if you've seen the stone and don't mind, it's not an issue. The table is quite big, but again if you know what you're getting.
And that's the beauty of diamonds and jewellery...lots of different ideas of what is considered beautiful :) - if you like it and the price is right, go for it.
Just maybe have a good look at the corners (as much as possible) to make sure that none of the points are damaged.
Hope this helps

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

To ADN, I wanted to mention that the stone is already set, in platinum prongs (though the setting itself is 14k WG). Apparently the platinum prongs were a custom job done to secure the stone more. The tip of the prongs are not the thin, pointy prongs. Rather, they are a buklier "L" shape, which covers up the corners entirely. If one is ok with slightly bulkier prongs such as this, would I be correct in presuming that this would make the stone more secure, whilst vastly decreasing the chances of chipping edges? Thanks so much!

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1451345931|3967600 said:
GIA does not grade the cut of princesses.
AGS does.

Find a Princess that got AGS's top cut grade, Ideal or AGS 0.

Thanks for the advice Kenny. I just wanted to initially say that I have loved your posts over the past few years. I've read many.

Alas, the buyer's (my cousin) budget is only $3,000 for the entire ER. Hence my suggesting going the route of the secondary market. (If he decides to go the route of this particular ER and WB, we will have it checked by an appraiser - and make purchase contingent upon the GIA-certed appraiser confirming that all is good). This particular set costs $3,000. It is a 14k Ritani WB and ER, with a bunch of channel-set melee to add more bling for the budget. Last (and only time) I personally bought an ER, I also went the secondary market route, but found an AGS0 E VS2 RB. However, I searched for a similar princess on WF with AGS0 and it costs the entire budget of my cousin sadly (see below). So that is unfortunately not possible.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Measurements are 5.28mm x 5.13 x 4.07

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much again for your replies tyty.

Both of those are quite nice, and thanks for looking. I believe though that he is looking for diamonds on the shank for that extra bling factor for the buck. He also likes the fact that this seller includes the diamond WB in the sale - one less expense for him down the line (as he prob will not have the budget for it even then). I will forward them along to him though!

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Cherokee1979|1451400235|3967828 said:
ADN|1451344983|3967590 said:
Hope this helps

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

To ADN, I wanted to mention that the stone is already set, in platinum prongs (though the setting itself is 14k WG). Apparently the platinum prongs were a custom job done to secure the stone more. The tip of the prongs are not the thin, pointy prongs. Rather, they are a buklier "L" shape, which covers up the corners entirely. If one is ok with slightly bulkier prongs such as this, would I be correct in presuming that this would make the stone more secure, whilst vastly decreasing the chances of chipping edges? Thanks so much!

Hi - yeah I saw that it was a set stone in your original post - buying second hand pieces that are already set can be a tricky gig - - that's why I suggested having a look (as much as possible) with a loupe or magnifying glass around/under as much as you can visually inspect (if you or your cousin are looking yourselves).
- With your fingernail, try to wiggle the stone (and the ones in the wedder) - if anything is loose you should be able to pick it up.
- Have a close look at the claws and band - check for porosity/cracks/discolouration/etc.
- Make sure all the stones in the band match each other within reason (mm size/make/colour/etc)...and are fairly close in colour with the main stone.
- Lots of rings are done with a gold band and platinum claws for added security, so that's fine.
- I'm a big fan of 'V' claws on princess cuts (i personally like the metal to be fine rather than chunky...but that's an aesthetic issue)...and you're correct...they do a great job of protecting the edges which are more prone to chipping...but unfortunately limits your ability to see what's happening under there if you're buying pre-owned...
None of the points above need to be deal breakers - you could decide to walk away, or negotiate a better price since work might need to be done
- If being unsure is a deal breaker, see if the seller will go down to an appraiser (of your choosing not theirs ;-) ) and drop 50 bucks on a valuation - if it is all fine, you pay for the appraisal (as your cousin will likely need one if getting insurance) - that will make everyone feel better about the transaction - and if the deal doesn't go through, the seller can eat the cost of the appraisal and is ready with it for the next guy to come along.
Hope this helps

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results