shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut help needed for first time buyer

taralab5

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a princess cut between 1.00-1.25 carat that is eye clean and sparkly as possible, budget around 5000. We were originally looking at Zales and found a celebration grand that's is very pretty and is on hold, but I am not an expert and after reading many things, I do not want to overpay for their diamond. I have been looking at Blue Nile, white flash, and James Allen, very nervous about buying online and not sure what I need to be looking for on the specs. Can anyone help on what I should be looking for specifically?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is 5k for the whole ring or just the diamond?

What kind of setting does she like?

taralab5

Rough_Rock
5000 for the diamond, probably 5500-5800 set, simple 4 prong or cathedral setting

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't be nervous about buying online. These are well established businesses who often times have storefronts. And consider, you could go and buy a ring from zales online too if you wanted too.

If you where going for biggedt band for your buck. From James Allen I found this

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.20-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-889125
With this setting

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-intricate-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-41047

With a referral discount code you could save 100 taking if to the top of your budget at 5820

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually I say stick to ags 000 when shopping princesses as it just makes life easy, but an exception to that is blue Niles signature line of princess. If you where more worked about savings than size, I like this one.

LD06656581
(You'll have to search it on their site the links won't work)

gcal_diamond_ld06656581t.jpg

taralab5

Rough_Rock
Thank you, those are both beautiful diamonds trying to decide between the size or price

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she want a white metal? If so, is she assuming she wants platinum?

Also, what's her finger size

taralab5

Rough_Rock
Yes a white metal either one, her ring size is 5 3/4 . This is for a 25th anniversary upgrade so also looking for wedding bands to go with so trying to make sure the white metal matches, she like the u shaped bands one for each side

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was size stone does she wear now?

taralab5

Rough_Rock
She has a 1/4 marquise, 1/2 carat total with band. Loves the princess cut and has wanted a bigger diamond for years.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh ok, so a 1 ct or 1.20 will definitely be noticeable, either way. How much are you allowing for the 2 bands? Those will be rounds?

taralab5

Rough_Rock
I do not want to go over 7000 total with the bands,the bigger size will definately be noticeable and she does not want to go as high as a 1.5. Want a good balance of as big as I can go but a great diamond, here is one of the bands she likes from blue Nile
Luna Diamond Ring in 14K White Gold (1/3 ct. tw)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I'm asking so many questions, I'm just trying to figure out what's best for your situation. I would think white gold may be best becuase platinum will mean you're paying platinum prices for both bands too. Extra expense there.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so let's say you get that ring. You'll get two, and they have a $100 discount if you spend 1k+, so that 1440. That leaves you 5560 for the ring. That leave that one I found at James Allen out.

taralab5

Rough_Rock
No problem for the questions, do not mind, just really trying to make sure I get a good deal, I keep going back to that one at James Allen it is a beautiful stone and being 1.20 carats. Thinking of getting one band now and the other for our 30th anniversary.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
taralab5|1460857783|4020238 said:
No problem for the questions, do not mind, just really trying to make sure I get a good deal, I keep going back to that one at James Allen it is a beautiful stone and being 1.20 carats. Thinking of getting one band now and the other for our 30th anniversary.
Well, you can just get the basic soli, and the two bands. The setting will be flanked by diamonds, so I think it's OK to cut corners there to get everything else she wants

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results