shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Diamond - Need Opinions

NYfan23

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

I would like to thank everyone on these boards as the information provided has been incredibly valuable in determining the diamond that's best within my budget.

I am about to the buy a 1.72 ct Princess Cut Diamond for $11.5k and I would some thoughts. My biggest issues are with the inclusions, especially in the corners.

Please let me know if this is a good purchase! The diamond goes for $12.6k on BlueNile.

_35098.jpg

aset_32.jpg

_35099.jpg

screen_shot_2015-10-29_at_1.png

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NYfan23|1446141628|3943502 said:
Hi Guys,

I would like to thank everyone on these boards as the information provided has been incredibly valuable in determining the diamond that's best within my budget.

I am about to the buy a 1.72 ct Princess Cut Diamond for $11.5k and I would some thoughts. My biggest issues are with the inclusions, especially in the corners.

Please let me know if this is a good purchase! The diamond goes for $12.6k on BlueNile.
The inclusions in the corners do not look overly worrisome judging from the plot, but you are wise to be conscious of it. It would be prudent to have it examined by an expert before the the stone is set. In regards to the inclusions under the table, you will just have to judge whether it is eye clean to your satisfaction.

The light performance images look generally good. The pronounced leakage in the center is not uncommon. Part of the trade-off of thinner crown and shallower depth is that you get a little more spread.

The 4 chevron configuration creates smaller (and more numerous) virtual facets than configurations with fewer pavilion facets, but in a stone this size they will not be too small to generate ample size sparkles. It's more a matter of taste.

NYfan23

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Texas Leaguer!

Can you explain this though:

"The 4 chevron configuration creates smaller (and more numerous) virtual facets than configurations with fewer pavilion facets, but in a stone this size they will not be too small to generate ample size sparkles. It's more a matter of taste."

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NYfan23|1446145634|3943541 said:
Thanks, Texas Leaguer!

"The 4 chevron configuration creates smaller (and more numerous) virtual facets than configurations with fewer pavilion facets, but in a stone this size they will not be too small to generate ample size sparkles. It's more a matter of taste."
the chevrons can be seen in the GIA report next to the clarity plot. This one has one 'main' triangle in the center of each corner (Facing NE, SE, SW, NW coming out from the center). The number of extra triangles on each side is the # of chevrons. If that makes sense. So this one has the main triangle, plus 4 on each side. The more chevrons, the smaller they are. Smaller ones create more little sparkles. Larger (ie less) chevrons would create more of flash. Personal pref what you like.

Here is a video comparing 2 - 3 chevrons. The 4 chevron would be similar to the 3, but even more splintery and full of small sparkles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nneVwREmtgY eta - right around the 1:30 mark is probably the best spot to see the difference. The 2chevron you see a large flash/sparkle. The 3 chevron is many small ones.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NYfan23|1446145634|3943541 said:
Thanks, Texas Leaguer!

The boomerang shaped facets on the pavilion are known as chevrons. Princess cuts can have configurations of 2,3,4 and sometimes more chevrons. Each additional set puts 8 more facets on the pavilion. As you break up the same surface area into more facets each one gets smaller. The actual facets result in a multitude of virtual facets as light interacts with them and is returned to the eye. If virtual facets are really small they appear as pinpoint light events creating more of a glittery effect than a flash effect. That is the taste part. But larger stones (like this) can support more chevrons without the virtual facets getting too small to provide some flash. Make sense?

NYfan23

Rough_Rock
Wow guys, thank you! That definitely helped.

I never even considered the sparkle vs the flash. I'm not sure my girlfriend has, either. My main focus was to get the best possible cut to elicit the best light performance.

I personally like the sparkle over the flash so I guess my diamond works well for me.

Does the number of chevrons affect the price of diamonds? Just curious. Would I pay more for fewer chevrons?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This might help with the terminology. Below are 2,3 and 4 chevron configuration.

wf-article-princess-diamond-pavilion-diagram.png

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL thx, my triangle wording seemed messy.

OP - I personally haven't noticed much of a difference in pricing, maybe TL can weigh in on that. I find that in general for princess cuts, you see more 3+ chevrons. 2 chevrons are my preference, but not seen quite as often. I think when people like a princess cut they usually like the pinpoint/glittery sparkles, and that is what draws them in. I know a few people with princess cuts, and all but 1 has a 4 chevron. The last person has a 3.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NYfan23|1446146887|3943551 said:
Wow guys, thank you! That definitely helped.

I never even considered the sparkle vs the flash. I'm not sure my girlfriend has, either. My main focus was to get the best possible cut to elicit the best light performance.

I personally like the sparkle over the flash so I guess my diamond works well for me.

Does the number of chevrons affect the price of diamonds? Just curious. Would I pay more for fewer chevrons?

Price is not at all related to the number of chevrons or whether the stone has French or Bezel corners, or chamfers. Since GIA has not yet released a cut grading system for princess cuts, it is good that you have the light performance images.

AGS Laboratories has had a light performance cut grade system in place for a decade that covers rounds, princess cuts and several other shapes. Here is how they go about it with regard to princess cut specifically:
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/ags-laboratories-diamond-cut-grading-princess-cut

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
telephone89|1446147259|3943556 said:
LOL thx, my triangle wording seemed messy.
Well, my boomerang probably did not exactly hit the mark either!

NYfan23

Rough_Rock
Thanks again. The information is awesome.

NYfan23

Rough_Rock
TL: Would you recommend buying this diamond or hold out for something better given the budget of $11.5k?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NYfan23|1446148170|3943572 said:
TL: Would you recommend buying this diamond or hold out for something better given the budget of $11.5k?
NYfan,
As a trade member I am not permitted to either recommend or criticize other vendors diamonds. I can only provide information. I'm sure you understand that wisdom of that policy!

NYfan23

Rough_Rock
Completely understood. Thanks again for the help!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA does not grade cut quality of princesses.
AGS does.

I'd look for one that got AGS's top cut trade of Ideal.

NYfan23

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions. I worry the table % is too high on the JA diamond.

I looked on whiteflash and found this:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3435431.htm

The AGS cut is ideal but the price is way above my budget.

Ultimately, my budget limits my spending. I fall more in the ideal cut for a 1.50 - 1.55 ct but I want to go a little bigger without hurting the cut.

NYfan23

Rough_Rock
I am ware of anything worse than VS2.

I am leaning toward my original diamond. However, should I be concerned about the light leakage in the middle of the doc? The diamond performs well on light tests besides for this.

Should it be a concern at this size carat?

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
NY Fan,

Without comment on any specific diamond - if you want as much information as possible, it is ALWAYS a good idea to get a light performance image (ASET) before purchasing a diamond. If you can get one - do it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While not an AGS Ideal certified stone, I think your initial stone has a pretty nice aset. I think if it meets your size requirements
and budget that it would be a good choice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results