shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut - cut class concerns

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coldfeet

Rough_Rock
Greetings all,

I have been looking for a princess cut diamond for an engagement ring. I found one I liked, then discovered the cut classes and grew curious about how much consideration to give this factor. Here are the specs:

measmnts: 6.94 x 6.74 x 4.84
weight: 1.73 carat
depth: 71.8%
table: 76%
girdle: very thin to thick
culet: none
polish: very good
symmetry: very good
clarity: VS1
color: H
fluorescence: none
price: $8000.00

The C's and size ratio are all in the range I wanted. Is the cut class 2B because of the larger table percentage? More importantly, is this a major concern? I examined the diamond thoroughly, and it seems to be a great specimen. I just want to be certain I'm not overlooking anything.

Thank you for any comments. This forum has been extremely informative.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The stone may look just fine to anyone who sees it. The real issue is that if you succeed in finding a rarer cut grade 1 stone that the diameter will be greater and the depth reduced. The look will be larger for the same money.
That is not an easy task, but if you persist, there are vendors with AGA Cut Class 1 stones who are making sales with them.

Lots of luck in your search.

coldfeet

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 1/28/2003 11:56:18 AM oldminer wrote:
The stone may look just fine to anyone who sees it. The real issue is that if you succeed in finding a rarer cut grade 1 stone that the diameter will be greater and the depth reduced. The look will be larger for the same money.
That is not an easy task, but if you persist, there are vendors with AGA Cut Class 1 stones who are making sales with them.
----------------

Thank you for the reply, oldminer. All of your posts are quite helpful. So, if I understand correctly, rarer cut grade 1 stones are out there though it may take some work to find them.

That being the case, would you (or anyone else) consider the stone above to be a decent purchase? Are class 2B stones pretty common? I haven't come across many other stones of the same quality at a similar price point.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results