shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Crown Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flyerfan

Rough_Rock
I will apologize in advance if this is a stupid question..But, if I select a Princess cut diamond according to the "Ideal Cut" (Class 1A) specifications setforth on the cut chart without knowing the crown height, will it be okay? Or is the crown height key to the cut? I saw one diamond in particular but the crown ang. and pav % and pav ang. fields were blank. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Not stupid!!
1.gif
Will it be "OK"...maybe...but there is NO guarantee that a 1A will perform better than any other grade. It's not just about finding a depth and table or even crown height that fits into a grade...

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
It seems to me that the crown height (crown angle, really) is the critical factor for princesses.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I believe that Jonathan advised me that it is the crown and pavillion angles that are "the" factors.

flyerfan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responding! Is there a way to tell the crown % if it is not listed in the description or on the certification --- or does it have to be listed? I did not see it on the ones that I looked at. And, who's Jonathon?
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Sorry! Jonathan is Good Old Gold.

No, there's no way for you to tell from the cert what the crown info is..unless it's an EGL cert. A sarin report will tell you that info!

Can u tell us more about the stone?
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 8/12/2004 12:28:34 PM Rank Amateur wrote:

It seems to me that the crown height (crown angle, really) is the critical factor for princesses.
----------------

Sorry RA,

It is not solely the crown angle. It is the relationship between the crown angle and the pavilion angle that is crucial.

Depending upon the measuring device used (Sarin/OGI) there are 2 pavilion angles that are reported that don't necessarily have to do with each other too. One is the angle going from the culet to the pointed corner (the 4 pavilion mains on a princess) and then there are the angles measured that go from the girdle edge down the side.

The angle relationships I am more familiar with are the crown angles and the pavilion angles that go from the girdle edge down the side of the pavilion (reported on some Sarin's and I believe all OGI's).

Oh ... and hi flyerfan! I am Jonathan. Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

flyerfan

Rough_Rock
Hi Jonathan,

Here's some info on a diamond that I saw -- we are looking right now and trying to figure things out. I was just trying to see if this was a good approach or not
6.gif
) Thanks so much for your help!

Stock #
Cert. img.
Cut Princess
Carat .85
Color G
Clarity Vs2
Price $3,274.23
Meas. 5.12-5.11 - 3.82
Depth % 74.8
Table % 68
Crown Ang.
Pav %
Pav Ang.
Girdle TN-M
Culet N
Polish X
Sym. VG
Fluor. N
Make

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I dunno flyer. That stone could be nice. It could not be so nice. You'd need to know more...My only reservation is that it looks a teensy bit deep..not nec a bad thing but it will be a teensy small...

In terms of price...Here is something very delicious to compare...This is a color and clarity grade better for only a few hundred more !

http://www.goodoldgold.com/princess_0_85ct_f_vs11.htm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results