shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut Comparison

wrhxc

Rough_Rock
I am looking to purchase a princess cut diamond for an engagement ring. The far left diamond comes up as a grade 1A on this table:

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/AGA_NAJA_Cut_Class_Grader

I was initially hung up on the diamond having all ideal dimensions. After reading through the forum I am looking closer at the ASET and IS images. Would anyone be kind enough to critique the diamonds in the photo below? I would greatly appreciate it. :)

untitled2.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are all ACAs with AGS 0 light return? I dont think you can go wrong with any of them. The only thing to figure
out is which faceting pattern appeals to you the most. Oh, and whats the clarity on these beauties?

This is the order in which I like them.

2 looks to be a very bright stone but may not have as much contrast as some people like. You have to decide which faceting
pattern you like (or maybe take a consensus).

Edit - I took a second look...I still like number 2 (for me) but 4 is looking like almost the perfect princess to me.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I like the 2nd one the best but really you can't go wrong.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you repost the picture...it is squashed because it is the first post. I think it will come up bigger if you post again
(I think)...which should be helpful.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Yup, dimensions don't matter nearly as much for a princess or other fancy cut than a round, so I'd try not to get too hung up on it. The one on the far left may have the most ideal dimensions, but it's actually my least favorite of the four. My preferences are 4>3>2>1. They're all going to be pretty and sparkly, but I like the facet patterning in that order.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the second one-- but I really don't think you can go wrong.

wrhxc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments everyone. It's nice to know that all four seem to be great diamonds. All are VS2 or VS1. Is there a consensus on the faceting pattern?

Diamond 1 is G color
Diamond 2 is H color
Diamond 3 is H color
Diamond 4 is G color

wrhxc

Rough_Rock
Also the diamond will be set in a white gold Verragio ring.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
wrhxc|1315244410|3010122 said:
Also the diamond will be set in a white gold Verragio ring.

It's going to be beautiful (whichever stone you choose)!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Facet patterning is a matter of personal preference, so you may not get a consensus. With the small number of replies here, 2 and 4 came out on top. The reason I prefer 4 over 2 is that 2 seems to have an empty-appearing area in the middle (even though it's red in the ASET, so it's not leakage, but rather lower contrast). In 4, the contrast seems to continue all the way through the stone, which I like. I also like that it's a G color, since princesses and other fancy cuts may show more color than rounds.

prettyshrewdsellers

Rough_Rock
Trade
wrhxc said:
I am looking to purchase a princess cut diamond for an engagement ring. The far left diamond comes up as a grade 1A on this table:

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/AGA_NAJA_Cut_Class_Grader

I was initially hung up on the diamond having all ideal dimensions. After reading through the forum I am looking closer at the ASET and IS images. Would anyone be kind enough to critique the diamonds in the photo below? I would greatly appreciate it. :)

These are all very well cut diamonds. At this point ASET and AGA cut class are not going to help you decide they are general tools for brightness mostly.

You should decide if you want bigger fewer flashes or more smaller fewer ones.

But if I had to guess the largest flashes should come from 1 > 2 > 3 > 4
The greatest number of smaller flashes should be 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

The only way to be conclusive is to see video or in person or ask their gemologist, you really can't go wrong with any of them. They all look bright but the scintillation will have different personalities from one to the other. Ask Bob I'd go with his opinion and tell him what size flash you prefer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results