shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess Cut - advanced specs?

mj103

Rough_Rock
I've done a good amount of research on my own, but just want a little confirmation from some experts! I understand the "4 C's" well enough, but some of the more advanced specs are slightly mysterious still. Anything that should raise a red flag? Thanks in advance!

GIA certified:

Carat - 0.95 Princess Cut
Cut - Very Good
Color - F
Clarity - VVS2
Polish - Good
Symmetry - Very Good
L/W ratio - 1.02
Depth - 72.8%
Table - 70.0%
Measurements - 5.48 x 5.35 x 3.90 mm
Fluorescence - None
Girdle - Thin
Cutlet - None

mj103

Rough_Rock
I should mention that while I've looked up plenty of "guides" on these things, they all seems to say slightly different things and I do worry that they're run by people trying to sell, which would imply that they're probably padding them a bit. Thanks again!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have any images?

mj103

Rough_Rock
Hi, thanks for the reply! I don't, this one is actually online. The price for the 4 C's specs is a lot better than I've been able to find at any local jeweler. If I'm not mistaken, Blue Nile just uses a stock image for the model images.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
There are no major red flags in the numbers, except that you may notice that it's a teeny tiny bit off-square (which may in part be responsible for the lower price you've mentioned). My princess has similar dimensions and is ever so slightly off-square, but not enough to bother me. Not one I'd kite-set, though. But there's one big problem...you can't see the diamond before you buy it. Two princess-cut diamonds with the exact same depth, table, and dimensions might have wildly different light return and faceting patterns, so you really have no idea what this one will look like. I would not buy a princess or any other fancy shape from a vendor that doesn't provide detailed photos and preferably an ASET image.

ETA: Not sure what your budget is, but here are some other options if you're looking to stay just under 1ct:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2733362.htm
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/9129/
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...0.901-g-vs2-princess-diamond-ags-104046707017

mj103

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. Blue Nile has a 30 day, no questions return policy as far as I understand. I plan on getting it appraised independently as soon as I receive it, but I didn't want to go through the hassle (or the bit of extra $$ of the appraisal) if I just flat wasn't going to be happy with it. When putting any of these specs up to the handful of guides I found online nothing stood out, but I wanted to be sure. 1.02 L/W ratio seems close enough to 1:1 that I doubt anyone without the most trained of eyes will notice, don't you agree?

mj103

Rough_Rock
Argh, I don't see it anywhere. Neat tool, though. I wish there was a way to find it. I can view the GIA report and it's not mentioned on there, either. :mad:

marygrace

Shiny_Rock
mj103|1329032885|3124522 said:
Argh, I don't see it anywhere. Neat tool, though. I wish there was a way to find it. I can view the GIA report and it's not mentioned on there, either. :mad:

Just amended my reply with suggestions for Blue Nile princesses with AGSL cut grades.

mj103

Rough_Rock
Haha! You are so much better at this than I am. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look through them and see what I think, but I REALLY appreciate the help. I'm in way over my head, methinks.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
mj103|1329032885|3124522 said:

You've probably figured this out, but GIA doesn't give crown heights for princesses.

As far as telling how off square it will look, I grabbed a ruler and drew out the shape of some stones to see if their dimensions would bother me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results