shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess and a five-stone question

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have two rings to show :) We will definitely keep the princess one. As for the three-stone, I am inclined to exchange it to a five-stone one, but would want to hear some opinions.

compress outside close.jpg

compress princess inside.jpg

compress center arrow.jpg

compress RB hand.jpg

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
I am new to this forum, and cannot do polls, but I want to elicit some opinions. Here are the possible options:

1. Keep the three-stone as it is. This three stone is 0.25 + 0.8 + 0.25
2. Change it for five-stone, with equal sizes. That would probably mean 0.3-0.4 carat stones. My finger size is 5, and I can't go more than 0.4, can I?
3. Change it into graduate five-stone, with slightly bigger center stone. The center stone can be 0.45-0.5 or more, and the side would be 0.3.

Also, I want to ask a question about BGD's settings. Would the cross-trellis setting be significantly more brilliant than the open-gallery? The open-gallery is like $400 cheaper and I suppose it would be better for stacking? But would the cross-trellis expose more stones and therefore make the stones shine better?

compress RB outside far.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote 5 stone of equal size.

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys! More opinion?
BTW, I do not intend to stack those two together (probably wouldn't be that good). I may stack a five-stone with a 2mm half-eternity band.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
wow, 2 rings!

do you plan to switch them up?

well first...you need to tell us more about that princess. it is stunning! we need details and more photos!

as far as the 3-stone, I like it, but it's definitely not as large as the princess. I think if you want something different, maybe go with a 5-stone? Also I remember you said it was VVS1, I think you could go larger if you drop down in clarity?

As far as the 5-stone settings, both will let plenty of light in (most of the light is coming from the top anyway). I would get whatever setting you like the best.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I love the princess, it looks great on your hand!

To answer our question, and as I'm concerned, I would go for a 5 stone ring (and keep the princess cut of course 8-) )...would probably give more coverage.

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Thank you slg47; initially we got two in order to compare and pick one; then bf said I could keep both; and then I decided one 'engagement'-looking ring is sufficient and so I'm more inclined to exchange the three-stone into a five-stone diamond band~ . I guess I can still switch wearing them or wear on two different hands. I definitely do not mind the clarity that much, the three stone center just happens to be a vvs.

Here's the Princess: 1.48 c, H color, VS1, AGS all ideal. In fact, you guys helped us pick this one -- bf asked questions here about 4 princess cut between 1.4 and 1.5 a while ago and some of the PSers suggested it, and the WF sales person suggests this. And since I can't decide on my own......

I do really like the princess shape. There was some hesitation initially because a 1-carat princess would look smaller than 1-c RB, and I want something with diameter 6mm; I though this one fits me perfectly

compress princess fire.jpg

compress princess outside far.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I agree, that princess is the perfect size on you! it looks great :love: :love:

ETA what about getting diamond studs or a pendant as opposed to a 2nd ring?

ysj99

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1304527857|2912094 said:
I agree, that princess is the perfect size on you! it looks great :love: :love:

ETA what about getting diamond studs or a pendant as opposed to a 2nd ring?

your princess is FABULOUS!!!! can you share the measurements of the stone?

And I second the idea of getting studs or pendant as well... maybe a pair of princess studs?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would keep your center stone and the side stones in the three-stone ring, and then add two more slightly larger stones in between the center and smallest sides, perhaps .40ct or .50ct stones, whichever you think looks best! Now THAT would be a ring! So graduated 5 stoen but keeping the center.

Instead of keeping both, why not upgrade the size of the princess? Just a thought.

Alternatively, a simple five stone all the same size.

As to settings, with ideally proportioned stones the openness of the basket does not matter for brilliance.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quite the problem to have! You get to keep both???? Lucky woman. Ok I think I would go for a five stone if you are wearing the princess as an ERing

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your kind reply!
TO ysj: Measurement for the princess: 6.3 × 6.1 × 4.7. It's the platinum 'sleek line' solitaire. i think the tipped tapering and the v-prong makes would make it look somewhat bigger.

As for the three/five stone, after seeing your replies, I think I'll go with five stone with equal size of 0.34, F. That's about 4.5mm diameter for each; should be good enough.

Yes, I am a very lucky to have an extremely patient sweatheart, who's gonna be broke after this. I don't dare to get into the deep water of diamond studs or pendants now. Many thanks you are all so knowledgeable and the forum's very informative indeed.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well if you already have the three stones you could set them in pendant/studs as opposed to 5 stone ring? i would think about which one would get more wear!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results