shape
carat
color
clarity

pricing question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kerenler

Rough_Rock
I recently went to what seemed like a reputable jeweler on 47th street in NYC. The company has been a member of the BBB for the last 10 years and has no complaints on file. They have a 100% money back guarantee and exchange policy.

I was quoted $7,500 for the ring described below. They presented me with the actual GIA Gem Trade Lab report as I viewed the diamond. I'm no diamond expert, so I didn't have the ability to count the facets or make sure they are aligned. The ring sparkles from edge to edge and I didn't detect any dead spots.

My concern is that the price seems too far out of the ordinary so I am a little suspicious. Does the price seem too low? Any ideas on where I can research prices based on passed in specs?

Round Cut
6.99 - 7.01 x 4.22mm
1.25 carat
Depth: 60.3%
Table: 56%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Clarity: SI1
Color: F
Flourescence: None

two feather imperfections on the facet side of crown.

it all sounds kosher.
You would need the crown and pavilion angles also, which the vendor caan get by asking whoever submited the stone to gIA to request the info.
They will likely tell you the gIA will not give the info, but insist anyway and they will get it.
Let us know how you get on please.

Thanks. I'm going to read Fred Cueller's book on how to buy a diamond just to make sure I have everything covered.

is there one ideal measurement for crown and pavillion angles?

There is now single ideal combination for crown and pavilion angles even GIA admitted it.

Re: F.C. book. Easy and fun readings for beginners. Be careful though when it comes to his recommendations on how to buy diamonds. You might find out he's the only one to buy diamonds from...

[/u][/u][/u][/u]

There is another good book I am reviewing at present.
It should not be so hard though that you neeed to read a book.
Fred has a bad reputation.

I looked at the table of contents of the F.C. book and it covers what I need: insurance, do's/don'ts, certifying etc... At the least it will be entertaining reading.

I appreciate leonid's warning. My preference is to view a diamond in person before purchasing it so I will not be influenced by any sales pitch in the book. I live in NYC so there should be plenty of sellers to choose from.

Oops, a typo: "now" I meant "NO"

----------------
On 1/16/2002 9:33:37 AM

There is now single ideal combination for crown and pavilion angles even GIA admitted it.

----------------

The sarin report came back for this diamond:

diam. 6.99mm (6.97 - 7.00) 0.4%
depth 4.21mm 60.2%
crown 34.4degrees 15.0%
pavil 40.3degrees 42.4%
table 3.91mm 56.0%
culet 0.0% none
girdle 1.5% (1.3medium - 1.751thick)

this rates a 0.3 on the Holloway Cut Advisor. I guess this means it performs like a TIC meaning it has a good combination of fire and brilliance?

Sounds like you picked a good one K!
Well done, go to the top of the class :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP