shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing question...Rapp report in B&M vs online vendor

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
user = pricescope visitor, not any user of Rap Dave.

Your wording is not too bad
1.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"...if you want to use these lists, or do a deal with a jeweler based on the pricing info in them then be prepared to be ripped off."

Garry,

Surely you will agree that the above statement is disparaging of jewelers who use Rap in their presentation and in their pricing calculations.

It's unusual for you to make such a blanket statement. Thre are many fine jewelers who will show a potential customer a copy of the Rap sheet as part of their sales presentation. I'm the first to agree that this is incomplete but to call it a setup for a 'rip off' for a jeweler to include this material strikes me as an extremely broad statement. Showing the Rap report is a very common practice and there are excellent jewelers who will use it as part of their sales presentation that don't disserve to be included in such a sweeping statement. This is especially true when it's contained in a document that is presented to the general public as a basic education resource for understanding diamonds and the diamond trade. This is not distributed to just the PS faithful readers. I'm sure that Leonid can tell you what the readership of that tutorial is but I have little doubt that it's enormous.

You are a very skilled writer and are usually very precice with your choice of words. Your opinions are given great weight by the diamond consuming public. I think you can improve upon this statement without either diluting or compromising your message.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the statement can be re-worded.

But, as a consumer I think the consumer can come out on the bad end of rap rapping.

In my case, the price was not a bargin - fair but no bargin. It was used as a diversionary/sales tactic as to how well priced the stone was. Didn't care about that list. I knew it was more than I wanted to spend. Why - the stone was a VVS1 I color. I wasn't going to pay for that clarity & the diamond did exhibit more color than I was looking for.

Rap was mentioned in some other conversations. And presented in such a way that it was confusing to me.

Perhaps more wording that "a jeweler uses rap in the trade on a daily basis. It's a trade tool & often can be used to put the consumer on a confusing playing field" - or something like that.

It's kinda like me quoting auction prices. It's in a vacuum because people don't understand the here & now circumstances & nuiances that go on in my industry in the auction trade.

Just a bad taste in my mouth. Certainly more respectable, but shades of F.C & his "secret diamond pricing" that he includes in his book.

...just a consumers point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results