shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricescope success story!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BecomingACutNerd

Rough_Rock
I started shopping for an engagement ring diamond back in May of this year, thinking it would take me a few weeks to learn everything I needed to know, and that I would have a diamond in that time. Well, it took me four months to find what I wanted, and I''m so glad I took the time to learn what I needed to know.

I started looking for rounds, and just when I thought I had learned everything, I found Pricescope, and a whole new world was opened up to me. Then, when I thought I had learned everything *again*, I found out through the grapevine that she actually wanted a Princess Cut. That was one of those slap your forehead and yell "Doh!" moments. However, using the base of knowledge on diamonds that I had acquired from you great people on Pricescope, I knew that cut was important. I did some shopping, and found the absolute best diamond I could for my money. I''m sure of it.

I bought my 1.01, I, VS1 Princess cut from SuperbCert. What struck me about their princess cuts was that they go for higher crown depths (13%), and smaller tables (59%). This somewhat bucks the trend for princess cuts. All of the maul jewelers I looked at had tables in the 70% range, and crown heights all over the place. Judah and Barry at Superbcert were wonderful to deal with; they were willing to take more photographs and gave me a wealth of information. I even called Barry to ease my worries about spending so much money over the net, and he quickly set my mind at ease. I got my diamond quickly, and you wouldn''t believe all of the stuff he sent with the diamond! I think I could open a jewelry store myself with all of the wonderful gadgets that he included in the kit! Superbcert is highly recommended.

I got the ring set at Jared''s. I just felt the most comfortable dealing with them. They were not pushy at all, and didn''t seem to be fazed a bit by the fact that I bought the diamond on the net. Everyone else just seem to look at me funny, and then they tried to sell me on their diamonds. By the way, nobody''s princess diamonds even came close to my diamond from Superbcert. Even the people at Jared''s were struck by my diamond. They said the only thing that comes close is the Leo diamond. I think the Leo is cut with similar proportions. I''m not convinced that the 66 facets does anything besides chop up the reflected light into even smaller pieces. In the end, it all comes down to cut, cut, cut! In the end, thought, I''m not 100% satisfied (probably 85%) by the setting job Jared''s did, but I''m probably the only one who notices, and the diamond just completely takes center stage, anyway.

And my fiancee''s thoughts? She was speechless when I presented it to her. She says she still stares at it all the time, and her coworkers constantly stop by her office to look at it. And best of all, I think she looks great wearing it! And I''m sure she''ll look great wearing it 30 years from now!

Sorry I rambled, but I really could say alot more. The main points: Superbcert was great. Don''t be afraid of buying on the net from a reputable dealer! My diamond priorities: Cut, Carat, Clarity, Color. One thing I learned is: an I color diamond is still a beautiful diamond. So for those of you in doubt, don''t be afraid of the I color. You really have to see it face up, in a setting to make a judgement. I also thought DCD, GOG, DBOF, and whiteflash were very helpful and nice as well, but in the end, Superbcert had THE diamond for me.

I''ll post pictures when I can, but my Canon Powershot S30 doesn''t seem to take great pictures close up. Okay, enough jabbering! I''ve got a wedding to plan! Thanks everyone for all of your great advice!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great story...the ring sounds lovely. Please do post pictures when you have them...I don't think we have seen pictures of any of SuperbCert's princess cuts and they are talked about alot...so would love to see it!
1.gif
Congrats and have fun with the wedding!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Congrats to you & Superbcert! Best Wishes to your fiancee! And, nice to hear about Jareds kudos to them too.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good job BACN and CONGRATS!!!

In aggreement with what you have observed I too have found that crown heights over 10% (particularly in the 13-15% arena) can really contribute to better light return and fire within the princess cut contrary to some of the published charts which reduce the cut grade of the stone for taller crown heights. Of course coupling that with the proper pavilion angles/depth is critical as well but it sounds like you really got a winner! When a person is shopping for the most beautiful stone for the money and is introduced to the many fine vendors who pick their stones according to optical qualities it is generally a matter of who has what stone that fits the clients needs best at the time which is why you'll find many of us referring one another if we don't have what you're looking for.

NiceIce, WhiteFlash, DBOF, myself and others refer each other often.

Kind regards and once again congrats,

Rhino

barry

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the kind words! Becoming.

We really enjoyed working with you and Judah doing the extra
pics. Glad you like our new Gem Kit. Who knows, one of these days
you might decide to use these and become an Independent Appraiser!!

Valid point you bring up RE: crown % and table %. These are
critical components as are the pavillions and the minor facets.
Maximizing light output in this shape cannot just be achieved by following
sets of numbers.

As far as your Canon Powershot, try using Macromode with the camera on a timer so as to eliminate vibration. Slightest vibration
will play havoc with the pic resolution and definition.
Look forward to seeing them.

Best,

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice story BACN...Can't wait to see photos...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results