shape
carat
color
clarity

pricescope pricing & sarin report

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jq

Rough_Rock
Hi. I''ve been doing some comparison shopping lately and noticed that retailers will price a diamond higher/lower on a pricescope listing but lower/higher on their retail websites. Does anyone know why this is?

Also, can anyone tell me what additional information I can gain from a Sarin report that an AGS cert does not already tell me?

Thanks for any help you can offer me.
wavey.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
jane_q - you mean you found listings showing HIGHER on pricescope but LOWER on their website as well as LOWER on pricescope but HIGHER on their website??

I know it is LOWER on PS but HIGHER on website coz' of the discount given to members of this forum but I've not found anything that shows a LOWER price on website.

Could it be when you do a search on pricescope, you are looking at the $/ct price?? That's higher coz' you it is listed as per carat. Unless of course you look for something above 1ct.

Maybe you can list an example.

jq

Rough_Rock
Hi jlim. Thanks for your reply. Here are some examples that I found of the higher/lower pricescope/website pricing that I was talking about. Also,
maybe you or someone else on this forum can help me with the question about the Sarin report & the information contained in it. That is, what additional necessary information does a Sarin report provide that an AGS cert doesn't already tell me? Thanks again!
wavey.gif

0.524 G SI1 AGS000
Pricescope price: $2,870 (per ct); $1,504 (total)
Website price: $3,021 (per ct); $1,583 (total)
Retailer: Whiteflash

1.51 F SI1 AGS000
Pricescope price: $7,139 (per ct);$10,780 (total)
Website price:$7,352 (per ct);$11,102 (total)
Retailer: Whiteflash

0.558 F SI1 AGS000
Pricescope price: $3,609 (per ct);$2,014 (total)
Website price: $3,074 (per ct); $1,715 (total)
Retailer: GoodOldGold

1.511 F SI1 AGS000
Pricescope price:$8,137 (per ct); $12,295 (total)
Website price: $7,923 (per ct); $11,972 (total)
Retailer: GoodOldGold

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jane!
wavey.gif

Price Scope Vendors offer PS customers a %'age discount on the price. That's why you are seeing one price on the PS Compare Listings and a different price at the vendor's website.

When you pick a diamond you are interested in and contact the vendor, be sure to tell them you saw it on PS. They will quote you the discounted price.
2.gif

On the Sarin Report, the best way to tell you is for you to see one. At White Flash, toward the bottom of the page of any A Cut Above diamond is a Sarin Technologies logo. Click on the logo and you will see a Sarin Report. You can see how each and every facet aligns, and the variance on the cut. Good Old Gold has complete Sarin's available on the net also. SuperbCert might also, I'm not sure. Take a look at one of the reports and you will see what I'm talking about.
1.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/6/2003 9:39:25 AM pqcollectibles wrote:

Hi Jane!
wavey.gif

Price Scope Vendors offer PS customers a %'age discount on the price. That's why you are seeing one price on the PS Compare Listings and a different price at the vendor's website.
----------------

pq - But if you notice, GOG prices as listed by jane_q shows website price lower than pricescope price.

jq

Rough_Rock
Hi pqcollectibles! Thanks for all your help!
wavey.gif

I have seen these Sarin reports online at WhiteFlash. However, given that the stones that I am looking at are AGS0, is it really necessary to pay for the additional Sarin technology? Aren't I already getting all that information on the AGS cert? I know that the GIA cert has limited information, so I understand why it would be necessary to have a Sarin report in such a case. What am I missing? I don't want to make a mistake.
rolleyes.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
sarin gives you the ranges of value among other things rather than averages. So, when you see an angle of 34.1 for example, it could be from 34.0 to 34.5. Less spread is better and it shows a tighter cut diamond.

jq

Rough_Rock
Hi jlim! Thanks!
1.gif

This is very interesting because a local jeweler showed me a Sarin sticker report (not a fancy colored report like what I see online) that showed 0 for proportion, but the AGS cert on the stone was a "3" for proportion. So, according to this, my understanding is that a diamond can have a Sarin report showing "ideal" proportions but the same stone may not receive an AGS "Ideal" proportion rating on its cert.
confused.gif

With an AGS0, isn't it enough to just trust the AGS & its rating that the stone is gorgeous?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
AGS "0" should have IDEAL Polish, IDEAL Proportions, and IDEAL Symmetry. Sooooo you cannot have an AGS "3" Proportions rating and have an AGS "0" Ideal cut diamond. All 3 parameters have to be ZERO, or Ideal, for the diamond to receive the AGS "0" designation in that area. AGS also asigns numbers to Color, and Clarity as well. For example, D is AGS "0" and SI1 is AGS "5".

The term "Ideal" gets tossed around quite a bit by some jewelers and sales people. Even when the diamond is not truly "Ideal". It's a marketing ploy used for selling decently well cut, but not necessarily IDEAL diamonds. Make sure that the AGS Cert says the diamond is an Ideal cut. Don't rely on someone telling you the cut is Ideal.
1.gif

Take the table and depth %'s, and the crown and pavillion angles from the AGS Cert and plug them into the Cut Adviser. It will rate the cut quality for you. A score below 2 is better than 95% of all diamonds available. The Cut Adviser also makes buying recommendations if the score is above 2. Then you rate the cut according to the Cut Charts and compare with Price Stats to see if the diamond is priced right.
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
[/quote]

pq - But if you notice, GOG prices as listed by jane_q shows website price lower than pricescope price.

----------------
[/quote]

I'm sorry. Quick scan and I didn't see that one. GOG has just recently been added to the PS Search by Cut Quality search engine. Maybe they are still working out the kinks.
confused.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
pq - say an AGS cert shows AGS Ideal 0. Does this automatically mean it conforms to the Tolkowsky model of an ideal cut diamond?

How likely is an AGS Ideal 0 diamond to score below 2 on the HCA?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/6/2003 11:27:17 AM jlim wrote:

pq - say an AGS cert shows AGS Ideal 0. Does this automatically mean it conforms to the Tolkowsky model of an ideal cut diamond?

How likely is an AGS Ideal 0 diamond to score below 2 on the HCA?
----------------

Re AGS and Tolkowsky Ideal cut. I can't say, JLim. I know I've read it somewhere. I searched the threads and didn't find it. I've checked my bookmarks and didn't find it. I do remember reading some sort of comparison somewhere but it just doesn't come to mind and I can't find it right now.

Re ASG "O" HCA score above 2. Personally, every one I considered or checked all came in below 2. If there's an exception, I'm sure someone has found it.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results