shape
carat
color
clarity

Prices high this time of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sincraft

Rough_Rock
Basic question: I noticed that since late summer, prices have increased by almost 20% it seems.

Someone told me it was due to the ''season'' (xmas, vals day etc). Is summer the best time to ''buy'' as there are many proposing for 1 year planning in april and may also?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not so much price increases as more demand for stock, so sometimes it''s harder to find what you want because a greater number of people are looking for diamonds around Christmas, Valentine''s, etc.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 4:58:07 AM
Author: Pricescope
Hi Sincraft.
Price fluctuations because of the holiday season are negligible and 20% is unrealistic number. See e.g. http://idexonline.com/Diamond_Index_Drivers.asp?SID=
Hi sincraft. That IDEX graph is pretty informative. It looks like prices were down during the middle of June, but way up in the middle of July. So it depends what timeframes you are actually comparing. 20% sounds a little high.

I would agree with FireGoddess that it's also a matter of supply and demand. Diamonds sales are greatest in the 4th quarter, so any smart vendor will have their largest/best inventory going into the big buying season. I would imagine an average vendor can't afford to keep such expensive large inventory for long, so there is motivation to seal a deal. Therefore, 4th quarter might be the time to buy for the best selection at good prices.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results