shape
carat
color
clarity

Prices going up, again!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Paul Slegers from Infinity Diamonds told me this morning that prices are going up an average of 7 to 8%.

For those who are not purchasing at today's prices, they are going to be further distressed when the price increases show up on sites over the next few days.

Wink

lorimiow

Rough_Rock
I was just about to post too! Just spoke to BGD, they told me that the prices are going up 7-15% depending on the size after today. :nono:

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
This makes me really sad. :(sad

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Goodness!

Wink, how will this affect business for vendors like yourself? Have you noticed that consumers are buying differently?

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1308348071|2948673 said:
Goodness!

Wink, how will this affect business for vendors like yourself? Have you noticed that consumers are buying differently?

I'm curious to get your take on this, too.

I just told FI that we needed to upgrade my diamond today. He said okay, better find one quick. He said it tongue-in-cheek, but I kind of want to take it as his blessing to go ahead. :lol:

wreckem

Rough_Rock
lorimiow|1308347599|2948667 said:
I was just about to post too! Just spoke to BGD, they told me that the prices are going up 7-15% depending on the size after today. :nono:

Damn it. I asked them yesterday to check on three SI1s. I still haven't heard back. Was going to to buy on Monday. Had I known I would have made time today to go ahead and do it without any feedback on the main one I was looking at.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
WOW, I am sure glad I did my upgrade last year. Doesn't look like I will get to do another one any time soon the way stone prices are going at the moment. Guess I will just have to live through my fellow PS friends.

:bigsmile:

lorimiow

Rough_Rock
wreckem said:

Damn it. I asked them yesterday to check on three SI1s. I still haven't heard back. Was going to to buy on Monday. Had I known I would have made time today to go ahead and do it without any feedback on the main one I was looking at.

Wreckem: I was just talking to them about my reserved stone and Brian was very nice to honor today's price for me until Monday. Maybe you can give them a call now too?

lorimiow

Rough_Rock
lorimiow|1308349525|2948686 said:
wreckem said:

Wreckem: I was just talking to them about my reserved stone and Brian was very nice to honor today's price for me until Monday. Maybe you can give them a call now too?

Oh and for my 0.6ct signature stone, Brian said it's going up 10%!! So I'm very glad to be pulling the trigger today.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1308348071|2948673 said:
Goodness!

Yes, several ordered stones in to look at today to beat the price increase. Paul has told me that he will honor today's prices for one week for stones under consideration but otherwise prices will be going up on Monday.

I have noticed that the dollar size of my average sale is increasing as prices go up, so it seems that most are willing to pay more to get what they want. I think that new clients who find us on Pricescope are often here only until they find their perfect diamond and then they are gone, so I do not think they are as affected by diamond price increases as our regulars here are.

I have also had an increase in requests for smaller diamonds under one carat, but Paul is cutting very few of these today as most of our clientele are wanting stones of 1ct and above. I suspect my lack of sales of the smaller stones is more a factor of Infinity Diamonds in those sizes rather than a lack of demand. I would be interested to hear what some of the other vendors are doing with the under one carat goods in the AGS0 cut grades.

Personally, I had expected a much larger drop in sales because of prices than I have experienced, although I would much rather have had prices remain where they were!

Wink

wreckem

Rough_Rock
lorimiow|1308349570|2948687 said:
lorimiow|1308349525|2948686 said:
wreckem said:

Oh and for my 0.6ct signature stone, Brian said it's going up 10%!! So I'm very glad to be pulling the trigger today.

.604 D I guess?

Hopefully they will give me the current price. They closed at 5 so Ill just talk to them on Sunday.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boo to price increases!!!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Boo, hiss, boo....looks like more colored stones in my future.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Wow .. I just checked a compareable August Vintage to what I purchased less than 2 years ago. It went up almost $10K. I am so glad I bought it then.

dreamingoftacori

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1308365512|2948788 said:
Wow .. I just checked a compareable August Vintage to what I purchased less than 2 years ago. It went up almost $10K. I am so glad I bought it then.

When I was purchasing my e-ring stone in February of this year, I was considering this AVR stone: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7818/

It was roughly $13,300 less than 4 months ago. Now it's listed at $18,425 !!! It seems like the price increase on the AV line was greater than the H&A or any other cut because the other GOG H&A I considered didn't show as large an increase.

luckky

Shiny_Rock
Can't even get on BGD website anymore right now (Sat night) I think they probably update the price now :nono:

speedy0514

Rough_Rock
luckky said:
Can't even get on BGD website anymore right now (Sat night) I think they probably update the price now :nono:

Yeah. I can't access the site either. Luckily I pulled the trigger yesterday. Phew...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes! I'm not really in the market but I want prices to stay the same just in case. :cheeky:

I'm sure this has been answered before, but what are the main factors that determine price increases? Particularly large ones like this?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, quite a jump in prices. I am so glad I got my upgrade in April.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Buy em off Ebay and get them recut. Still plenty of bargains there. I am glad I bought the ones I did in the '08-'09 period.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another update on my pet stalking project -

March 9, 2010 - $16600 wire
Feb 11 2011 - $22200 wire
Apr 6 2011 - $23800 wire
May 27 2011 - $25300 wire
June 17, 2011 - 26478 wire

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Yssie that is quite a price jump. What are you "stalking"? :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1308452080|2949291 said:
Wow, Yssie that is quite a price jump. What are you "stalking"? :bigsmile:

Haha nothing I'm buying! It was an RB I had shipped out last year out of curiosity - 3ct HRD I SI2, actually rather an ugly stone. Impressive price jump, no?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL Yssie. For that kind of money it shouldn't be ugly and that price jump is something.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
marcy|1308495521|2949512 said:
LOL Yssie. For that kind of money it shouldn't be ugly and that price jump is something.

Seriously- just about a 10,000 increase in price in 15 months!

stlc

Rough_Rock
with the increases going on, does it also affect the baby d's? Like the melee? I wonder? :?:
Really sux.
So happy I bought in May. I've actually made a profit! And diamonds are known to not really be an 'investment'. Crazy stuff!

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
I was just going to create a topic on this. Out of curiosity, I checked to see what it would cost if I needed to replace my ring (heaven forbid) tomorrow, and boy was I :-o !!!

My FH bought the diamond in April less than 3 months ago. The prices for a 1.3 H SI2 have jumped from around 30%. We couldn't afford that if we were buying now!! Now, we could afford a 1.1 with the same specs. It's actually kind of insane. And it's going to jump again??? Unbelievable. At this rate, I'll need another appraisal before the end of the year! :oops:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
To the poster who commented about ebay, they apparently have heard about the diamond increase as well. A few on there who are apparently drop shippers, as they have the same diamonds listed as on this website, have higher prices than what can be found here. Most of the average sellers are long gone, and the few who are left, have their diamonds listed at extremely high prices. The only exception is in the antique categories. But overall even on ebay, bargains are few and far between.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
stlc|1308665251|2950972 said:
with the increases going on, does it also affect the baby d's? Like the melee? I wonder? :?:

Yes it does.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1308683839|2951213 said:
To the poster who commented about ebay, they apparently have heard about the diamond increase as well. A few on there who are apparently drop shippers, as they have the same diamonds listed as on this website, have higher prices than what can be found here. Most of the average sellers are long gone, and the few who are left, have their diamonds listed at extremely high prices. The only exception is in the antique categories. But overall even on ebay, bargains are few and far between.

The antiques vendors have clearly cottoned on to these hikes - I haven't been finding any bargains lately, and I've been looking! And the private sellers of used goods all seem to be listing by the appraisal value lately ;(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results