shape
carat
color
clarity

priceless Dom Pedro aquamarine 10,363 carats

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
Saw the news report today in the Washington Post about this aquamarine being donated. If it's "priceless" how do they figure the tax deduction?
dompedrolighted.jpg

this picture gives an ides of the size
dompedrosize.jpg

here's the story which tells it's carat weight and how it was carved
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...03a-11e2-a30e-5ca76eeec857_story.html?hpid=z4

I love this color, I live in South Florida and the gulf waters are this color in various shades depending on the sun and how deep the water is. And nearby there is a small island named Don Pedro but probably not the same person.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lust Lust LUST.......high quality aqua! gorgeous! :love:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think putting it in a halo would make the ring too gaudy?

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have the day off of work on Friday, does anyone else in the DC area want to take a field trip? I'll try to get some pictures, but the ones in the article are pretty good.

ChrisES

Shiny_Rock
I'm working Friday but will definitely be heading over to see it ASAP. I might even just duck my head in when I'm downtown for a meeting!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm willing to walk to DC to see that! Breathtaking, absolutely beautiful.

--- Laurie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1354564605|3321498 said:
I'm willing to walk to DC to see that! Breathtaking, absolutely beautiful.

--- Laurie

LOL! am thinking of checking airfare!

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Completely stunning! Glad that the public will be able to enjoy this work of art!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous piece of art and creation by both Mother Nature and humankind. :love:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Utterly, positively exquisite. How wonderful that it will now be on display for all who venture to the minerals hall at the Smithsonian.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! :love:

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade
I was able to go see this in person last weekend, it's a very impressive piece of work. As a lapidary I complain about polishing the table on anything over 12mm, I cant imagine the process involved in putting such an amazing polish on such a large gem. Beautiful aesthetics, including great use of some needle inclusions near the base of the piece. Here are some pictures I took.

img_386.jpg

img_387.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It is just stunning. How I envy your seeing it in person! Thanks so much for the pics; don't think I could ever get enough of them. It's really an amazing piece of work for skill, design, & time.

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is breathtaking; absolutely stunning! I can't begin to imagine cutting that work of art. The color is unbelievable to boot. Thanks for the pics, Bob.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Superb! Execellent picture and fabulous cut design. Thank you for the update and pictures.

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
Oh how nice to be able to see it in person. I looove the Smithsonian and all the museums on the Mall. Can still remember being impressed by the gem collection and seeing the Hope Diamond on a 6th grade class trip from FL to DC. A girl never forgets seeing a diamond that big haha.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results