shape
carat
color
clarity

Price question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I have seriously been thinking about purchasing a gem in the past month and would like to put it in a simple pendant setting. I think I would like either a bezel or prong setting depending on the shape of the stone I buy with a simple loop chain. Could any of you give me a guess or range of what a setting like this might cost from WF or other trusted vendors? I would really really appreciate it! Thanks!

riogems

Shiny_Rock
This should be relatively inexpensive... the main cost you''re facing is the stone. I don''t know what metal that is made out of, but let''s assume you want 14k white gold? It shouldn''t cost you more than $100 for something similar.

For your setting, your biggest expense is going to be the metal you choose.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2006 2:20:11 AM
Author: riogems
This should be relatively inexpensive... the main cost you''re facing is the stone. I don''t know what metal that is made out of, but let''s assume you want 14k white gold? It shouldn''t cost you more than $100 for something similar.

For your setting, your biggest expense is going to be the metal you choose.

Thanks Riogems. Do you do custom setting work like this? I know you don''t feel completely comfortable soliciting yourself here which I understand, but if you do settings perhaps I can contact you through your website. THanks!

riogems

Shiny_Rock
We don''t typically offer custom work for new customers, although we do it sometimes depending on the customer. Feel free to contact us through our website if you want.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is do-able with a stuller setting and a chain so its only semi-custom shouldn't be expensive but $100 is pretty low using quality components with $600oz gold, but under $250 tops should be do-able and under $200 possible.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! Any others know anything????

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Go to your local jeweler, not a mall jeweler, but some listed as a goldsmith. These types of setting are bought already cast in solid 14 ct. gold by the jeweler. He then notches it to fit your stone, and sets the stone. I have these done by a local guy, typically for much less than $100

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2006 3:41:04 PM
Author: XChick03
If you go with a RB, I love this setting.
I am not going with a diamond but a gemstone in WG. So I wasn''t sure if that price was acurate or not. But thanks!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
which color gem are you going to use? a good stone...i mean a really good stone....will cost more than the setting, i think. but there are color gem stones for every price range, just as there are for diamonds. hope you will post a picture of your project when completed.

movie zombie

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2006 7:59:26 PM
Author: movie zombie
which color gem are you going to use? a good stone...i mean a really good stone....will cost more than the setting, i think. but there are color gem stones for every price range, just as there are for diamonds. hope you will post a picture of your project when completed.

movie zombie
Haha, a blue stone, actually I am looking for some photoshop help because I have no skill and no photoshop. THe gem I am in love with is a pentagon shaped zircon which I posted in the "photoshop help" thread . My paint attempts look ridiculous
15.gif

ETA: I laughed because of course I will come show it off when its completed, not laughing at you movie zombie. Sorry thought I should clarify.
9.gif

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
I believe that WF quoted me $170 for a simple 4 prong basket setting in white gold, but I cannot remember if it was 14k or 18k. I am leaning towards the 18k, but I am not sure. This was at the end of December, just to give you an idea. Now you may run into setting fees or something like that to have them set the stone. I would assume they waive that if you purchase the stone from them, but again I am guessing. I think your best bet would be to give them a call and get a quote. Then you know for sure. I would also contact Wink about a setting.

Can you post a picture of the stone, it sounds gorgeous! I am also sure that someone will help with PhotoShop if you post a picture of the stone and setting you have in mind.

I wish you well,

Bridget

Kaylyn

Shiny_Rock
I''ve got a baby amethyst pendant in the works, and for the 14k chain and actual pendant, my jeweler is charging me $75.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
I think $75 sounds about right. It will depend on the type/weight of the chain you want. Some chains can obviously cost more than $75 in gold -- but I think a light-weight cable-link chain would be good for this type of style. I would suggest either having someone local to where you''re buying the stone do it, or having it done local by you. Or else, just the shipping of things around will add up another 20% on to your cost.

Kaylyn

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, local definitely helps. That way you can see it before you plunk the money down.

It also helps when your jeweler is having a "pick a plastic easter egg, win a free gem!" promotion going on.

emwink.gif

Not that the stone I won was worth very much, and it''s tiny, but it was still a fun idea.

Plus, it gave me the excuse to set it into something pretty and present it to myself for my graduation present.

I will have to post pictures when it''s done.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 1:07:05 PM
Author: Kaylyn
Yeah, local definitely helps. That way you can see it before you plunk the money down.

It also helps when your jeweler is having a ''pick a plastic easter egg, win a free gem!'' promotion going on.

emwink.gif

Not that the stone I won was worth very much, and it''s tiny, but it was still a fun idea.

Plus, it gave me the excuse to set it into something pretty and present it to myself for my graduation present.

I will have to post pictures when it''s done.
You don''t happen to live in MN? So I can go win a free gem???
28.gif
Thanks!

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
OK so I contacted WF and became a little frustrated. I had almost decided on this gorgeous blue zircon and then..... WF said that they would reccomend staying away from topaz and zircon because they chip easily? HUH
8.gif
! They suggested spinel is a much better option. What do you all think? I''m almost right back at square one if I have to start looking for a completely different stone. Grrrrrr. Thanks everyone looks like I just need more help
14.gif

Oh BTW, I am going to try and contact local jewelers tonight or tomorrow as many have suggested. Which I like the idea because I don''t have to pay any more S&H but am not sure about because who knows if they are reputable and trustworthy.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
For a pendant? Are they crazy?

When was the last time you bumped your chest into something? Hahah. oh okay... but seriously? Pendants and earrings typically aren''t subject to the same kind of abuse as rings and bracelets.

Kaylyn

Shiny_Rock
Nah, I don''t live in MN, but you''re close...

I live directly to the left of your state on a map...a little place called "North Dakota".

5.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Spinel did someone say spinel? I love them thar spinels. Sounds like they have some spinels in stock they are trying to move. For an untreated stone that could be a good choice. In blue though it is kind of hard to get a bright color. Most are a grayish blue.
A zircon would be more diamond like. In a pendant I don''t see any problems with chipping unless you play in the NFL or enjoy a good game of ice hockey.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
I had to add -- another word on chipping. The person setting the stone is much more likely to chip the stone then you wearing it as a pendant. Maybe they didn''t want to set that kind of stone for risk of chipping it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results