shape
carat
color
clarity

Price of Repairs?

ShamSavior

Rough_Rock
Hi, this is my first time on this site so I'm not entirely sure what to expect for responses. I really hope they're good ones though. Uhm, I'm a young guy and I bought a diamond engagement ring, with a white gold band, with yellow gold strip in the middle of the band right at the top as well just for another design, for my girlfriend second hand (Partially due to me not having THAT much money, and partially because the ring I found was beautiful and perfect for her, and couldn't find the same style new: Sorry, no pictures because I don't have a camera). Before I propose I want to get it repaired. Theres nothing EXTREMELY damaged on it. It's just a little nick near the top of the band on the white gold (Only the white gold) and by little, I mean like 1/4mm wide and deep. If not less. It's REALLY small, but I can notice it and I hate that. Also just your regular wear scratches around the band, nothing deep at all, and I feel as if I knew how to polish it they'd come right out.

Now for my question. With just these small issues, if I was to take it to a jeweler, how much would this cost me to repair (estimating). I've really never got anything like this repaired before, and can't find information online with my specific issue. Hope I can get some help from here!

(P.S. I don't know if this will help give me an estimate, but I live in Canada, don't know if that will change the price.)

I appreciate any and all information. Thanks. :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure how much it will be to repair WG but I had my plat. ring polished for $40. they usually charge $15 but charged extra since there was a dent in it (sounds to be similar to what you are describing). maybe ask around at some local jewelers?

ShamSavior

Rough_Rock
I was planning on it but I just decided to post on here first before trying to figure out around what it would cost me so I wouldn't just be running in blind, but yeah, a small dent is a really good way to describe it. $40 isn't too bad but I know some jewelry stores overprice for things so I thought I'd ask here first.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It shouldn't be more than $40-50 but depending on where you live it could be more. My husband had a nick in his and I got it fixed at it was about $40.

ShamSavior

Rough_Rock
I love seeing a consistant response. Was the repairs done at a big chain jewelry store like People's, Charm, etc? Or just a local store, or would there be that much price/quality difference between the two? Do the big chain stores really charge much more for that stuff? Or just take longer to do it?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Mine was done at a small regional chain. Not sure , but my gut says that pricing is dictated more by local market vs. the chain/small shop dynamic. I live in a major metropolitan city and in the downtown area there are dozens of places that could do this, so it was cheap. If you're the only game in town, I'd bet it is less cheap. It can't cost the store that much to do it, so I don't think you'd see extreme inflation of prices.

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Well I had a completely different repair done (replaced a 14KT WG lobster claw on a necklace) and the mall jeweler quoted $40. I went to a local mom and pop jeweler with an in house bench and they charged me $20. So my personal experience was that the mall was 50 percent higher.

ShamSavior

Rough_Rock
That's what I was thinking Rubyprincess. I figured that the mall stores/chain stores would be a lot more expensive than a little store. Just for the reason that they're trying to get business they'd be cheaper. Although the bigger stores could possibly be able to do the job for cheaper. Who knows, I'll have to call around I suppose. Thank you for all your answers and any other answers would be great. I was really hoping it wouldn't be like 100 dollars so I'm quite happy with all the responses. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results