shape
carat
color
clarity

Price of gold

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your eyes, what is the difference between 14k and 18k visually? Just curious, since I'm not 100% sure I want to have my ering and wband in 14 or 18k... initially I was leaning towards 18k but I also like a nice warm gold so idk!

Well, to me 18k is more yellow than 14k. And seems brighter, if that's the correct way to describe it. I feel like 14k is a softer look which is why I like it best.

silkystarlight

Rough_Rock
For yellow gold, I prefer the richer look of 18K with my skintone (but I do have 14K gold pieces)...so I mostly use that for custom projects. What I question is why use 18K (for 14k) for white gold? Some of my jewelers only carry 18K and up...but they are price competitive so I guess it evens out.
Well, to me 18k is more yellow than 14k. And seems brighter, if that's the correct way to describe it. I feel like 14k is a softer look which is why I like it best.

Thank you both for your input! When I think of how I want any projects I want done in gold to look, I always envision a slightly warmer gold... so idk, I might just need to try to find some 14k and 18k gold to compare with my skin tone to see what I like more.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone, for the discussion. Right after I posted, I found out I could get the Covid vaccine, but I had to drive 7 hours each way with also choosing to stop overnight each way. I have been out of pocket but am now vaccinated.

I chose to leave the project with the 10k which I understand will be rhodium plated. If it tarnished, I believe I can get it plated again.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, thanks.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plus, I can’t tell the difference between 10k and 14k anyway.

Unless you are making something massive, I think the labor dwarfs the materials cost, right? My favorite for warmth and "softness" in appearance (but not actual, you know, softness) is unplated white gold -- but make sure that it is nickel-free. You may not have an allergy but one of your kids or in-laws might.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you are making something massive, I think the labor dwarfs the materials cost, right? My favorite for warmth and "softness" in appearance (but not actual, you know, softness) is unplated white gold -- but make sure that it is nickel-free. You may not have an allergy but one of your kids or in-laws might.

It’s a nearly 11 carat aquamarine. Lol

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow looks beautiful @whitewave and much lighter in 10k

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's gorgeous @whitewave ! Really turned out nice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results