shape
carat
color
clarity

Price of gold

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m curious if anyone has gone down to 10k with the price of gold so high these days. (Looks to be about $1850 today).

I bought a half carat ruby some months ago from africagems and I had Marc set it in a white gold 10k Stuller crown since it was a “get to know a ruby” piece in a starter setting and to be worn on my pinky. I figured while practical it would be stronger for an outer finger.

I also am having my giant aqua set into a pendant with a local B&M and decided to do 10k white gold to save a couple of hundred dollars. The aqua was inexpensive for its size and so I didn’t want to outprice it with the setting.

Plus, I can’t tell the difference between 10k and 14k anyway.

I wondered if others have been thinking the same.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
It’s interesting. Where I live there are a lot of cultures who invest in gold primarily - no 401ks. So they look in disgust and incredulity at anyone who buys 9k or 14k gold. It’s got to be the real glaringly garish 24k deal or nothing. And gold is the be all and end all.

Personally I’m a coloured stone nut so what I set my darlings in is only relevant in so much as it sets off their beauty. I draw the line at 14k. Pretty much arbitrarily.

My colleagues think I’m nuts.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s interesting. Where I live there are a lot of cultures who invest in gold primarily - no 401ks. So they look in disgust and incredulity at anyone who buys 9k or 14k gold. It’s got to be the real glaringly garish 24k deal or nothing. And gold is the be all and end all.

Personally I’m a coloured stone nut so what I set my darlings in is only relevant in so much as it sets off their beauty. I draw the line at 14k. Pretty much arbitrarily.

The posts on my 18k earrings bend so that alone makes me concerned. Most of my jewelry is platinum or 18k gold.

To me 24k is entirely too malleable.

silkystarlight

Rough_Rock
I have recently been debating on whether I want to get this ring I have been eyeing for a LONG time in 10k or 14k yellow gold... I was thinking of asking about that topic on here myself, so I am definitely interested in what others have to say!

I tried looking up for myself how much of a visual difference there even was between the karat levels in gold... this seemed like the most helpful (and comprehensive!) image, but then again I'm sure lighting and even one own's individual eyes could make a difference.

1612287296098.png

My main lingering thought that keeps nagging me in the back of my brain is: "wouldn't it be better for retaining value over time if you go with 14k? So wouldn't the price difference be worth it in the long run?" But since I know next to nothing about the history of gold prices or really how valuing gold jewelry over time works, I don't know if that is a reasonable train of thought.

This is how the attitude is back in my home country as well. People usually wear 22kt or 24kt. 18kt is about as low as they’d be willing to go. My jeweler looks pained every time I ask him to make me something in 14kt (which for some reason is my arbitrary cut off point as well)!

For some reason I draw the line at 14k too. Maybe b/c at 10k, it's more other metals than gold (did I get that right?)? And so right now I'm holding off on custom projects until prices go down.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
10 kt gold here has nickel in it so it’s a no go for me.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Part of my recent pearl obsession in due to not setting anything recently between price of gold and my jeweler closing the office due to covid. Literally bought a 16” choker of 3-4mm gem akoyas for less than most gold chains cost in that length.

In the past with high gold prices I’ve set things in silver with gold accents or just silver. No issues with tarnishing yet as they are rhodium plated fairly well it seems.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I've been having things set in argentium silver, a tarnish-resistant alloy. I like silver, and gold is too expensive for me now. If I had a project too precious for silver, I would probably go with platinum.

I was playing around with the pricing for a ring I like. It was "only" a $100 or so difference between white gold and plat right now. That's crazy pants!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of jewellery here in the UK is 9kt gold, and only higher end pieces are placed in 18kt gold.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
The 22/24 kt items don't get all banged up or bent out of shape?

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
@whitewave my family runs gold jewelry business back home. But we’re only selling 9k, 18k, 22k and 23/24k. I don’t know about 10k and I don’t know how the gold Mixed here in the States. But back home, the 9k one, if the water contains higher level of Salt (I don’t know if its Salt or minerals, we said salt), the gold jewelry color will change overtime, to some reddish kind of color. Again, I don’t know if 10k and US mixed will get similar situation/not.

Whenever we went home, my DD will go crazy seeing all the jewelry in front of her and she’ll got new set (yes my daughter wear gold earings, necklace, bracelets (right and left arms), also a ring. *that’s totally normal where I came from, most of the kids wore them all. But being a toddler my parents gave her 9k ones and those did turns reddish here too in the States after some times... and my parents were right to gave her the 9k ones because she lost it every single time! We weren’t able to visit them in 2020 but her bracelet from last visit got lost in her school playground.

This is one of her bracelet (not gold) and 9k charm that she wore everyday without ever taking them off. The color isn’t as pristine as 18k ones after some times, but again maybe US mixed won’t be like this? Comparison between 9k and 18k overtime if its being wear everyday, never took off even for shower etc. (ring is mine)
12AB3713-38B3-4BF0-AAAA-71C3462EC707.jpeg

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@whitewave my family runs gold jewelry business back home. But we’re only selling 9k, 18k, 22k and 23/24k. I don’t know about 10k and I don’t know how the gold Mixed here in the States. But back home, the 9k one, if the water contains higher level of Salt (I don’t know if its Salt or minerals, we said salt), the gold jewelry color will change overtime, to some reddish kind of color. Again, I don’t know if 10k and US mixed will get similar situation/not.
Yes its similar, high copper content or high silver content or both depending on the specific alloy corrodes in 10k.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I’m sorry I didn’t read it carefully. Somehow I thought yellow gold :lol:

ean

Brilliant_Rock
I was playing around with the pricing for a ring I like. It was "only" a $100 or so difference between white gold and plat right now. That's crazy pants!

Really? WOW! Really wondering if I should just wait to get something set. But soooo impatient.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I’m sorry I didn’t read it carefully. Somehow I thought yellow gold :lol:

Here lower karet yg contains nickel or sometimes copper to change the color. my 10 kt gets that red tint.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I have recently been debating on whether I want to get this ring I have been eyeing for a LONG time in 10k or 14k yellow gold... I was thinking of asking about that topic on here myself, so I am definitely interested in what others have to say!

I tried looking up for myself how much of a visual difference there even was between the karat levels in gold... this seemed like the most helpful (and comprehensive!) image, but then again I'm sure lighting and even one own's individual eyes could make a difference.

1612287296098.png

My main lingering thought that keeps nagging me in the back of my brain is: "wouldn't it be better for retaining value over time if you go with 14k? So wouldn't the price difference be worth it in the long run?" But since I know next to nothing about the history of gold prices or really how valuing gold jewelry over time works, I don't know if that is a reasonable train of thought.

That's a really cool chart!

I love discussions like this, I learn so much from you all!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I have a few 10K vintage pieces. This is going to sound strange, but they have a noticeably different smell. Perhaps its just from age, but I clean them, so there's no residue on them. I guess it could be from their metal content, whatever is mixed with the gold. Now that Karl mentions copper, I'm realizing they do kinda smell like old pennies.

I have antique pieces that are platinum and I don't detect any odor at all from them in comparison.

silkystarlight

Rough_Rock
I have a few 10K vintage pieces. This is going to sound strange, but they have a noticeably different smell. Perhaps its just from age, but I clean them, so there's no residue on them. I guess it could be from their metal content, whatever is mixed with the gold. Now that Karl mentions copper, I'm realizing they do kinda smell like old pennies.

I have antique pieces that are platinum and I don't detect any odor at all from them in comparison.

That's really interesting! But, I feel like it makes sense, in a way. I definitely think different metals can sometimes smell different... If I had to take an educated guess, I bet it is the copper content!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The great thing about gold prices is that it makes platinum an easy choice for white metals! I personally wouldn't go below 14k yg for fine jewelry but prefer 18k, and I think the argentium silver is a good idea for less valuable fashion jewelry.

silkystarlight

Rough_Rock
The great thing about gold prices is that it makes platinum an easy choice for white metals! I personally wouldn't go below 14k yg for fine jewelry but prefer 18k, and I think the argentium silver is a good idea for less valuable fashion jewelry.

So what is argentium silver? I've heard of it a few times on PS here, but haven't heard of it before that. Does it function differently from sterling silver (pretty much the only silver I'm familiar with lol)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what is argentium silver? I've heard of it a few times on PS here, but haven't heard of it before that. Does it function differently from sterling silver (pretty much the only silver I'm familiar with lol)

Much more resistant to tarnishing. It is sterling silver but with different alloys than the traditional sterling silver. I have a long link necklace with a few onyx beads made from this type silver. I keep it in a plastic bag, so it doesn't tarnish at all. I have never experimented with keeping it out to see how it tarnishes.

silkystarlight

Rough_Rock
Much more resistant to tarnishing. It is sterling silver but with different alloys than the traditional sterling silver. I have a long link necklace with a few onyx beads made from this type silver. I keep it in a plastic bag, so it doesn't tarnish at all. I have never experimented with keeping it out to see how it tarnishes.

Thank you so much! I might keep that in mind for some future projects! :))

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My experience with argentium silver: For some reason my skin immediately tarnishes ordinary sterling with copper, but I can wear argentium silver all winter long without any tarnish. I do have to polish it occasionally in the summer to keep it looking bright and white, but if you have normal skin chemistry you might not even need to do that. Not every jeweler knows how to work with argentium silver--or has even heard of it--so you might have to hunt around for one who does.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm one of those (few I gather) that prefer 14k YG over 18k or anything higher, just based on color. I've never thought to drop down to 10k but now that you brought it up, I probably wouldn't. I have 18k but find that I don't like to mix my 18k and 14k when I stack rings and since I prefer the color of 14k I stick with that. I think if I went to 10k I'd also notice the color difference and not want to use those pieces to wear with the others, so I stick with one color.

silkystarlight

Rough_Rock
My experience with argentium silver: For some reason my skin immediately tarnishes ordinary sterling with copper, but I can wear argentium silver all winter long without any tarnish. I do have to polish it occasionally in the summer to keep it looking bright and white, but if you have normal skin chemistry you might not even need to do that. Not every jeweler knows how to work with argentium silver--or has even heard of it--so you might have to hunt around for one who does.
Thank you for your input! It's interesting to hear that it operates differently than sterling silver, and I definitely have interest now in maybe making some pieces from argentium silver in the future!

I'm one of those (few I gather) that prefer 14k YG over 18k or anything higher, just based on color. I've never thought to drop down to 10k but now that you brought it up, I probably wouldn't. I have 18k but find that I don't like to mix my 18k and 14k when I stack rings and since I prefer the color of 14k I stick with that. I think if I went to 10k I'd also notice the color difference and not want to use those pieces to wear with the others, so I stick with one color.
In your eyes, what is the difference between 14k and 18k visually? Just curious, since I'm not 100% sure I want to have my ering and wband in 14 or 18k... initially I was leaning towards 18k but I also like a nice warm gold so idk!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
10k can tarnish 14k wont.
14k is what I usualy use.

This has been my experience with older 10K pieces so I won't use it.

The prices of gold is definitely a consideration/deterrent in contemplating new projects.

For yellow gold, I prefer the richer look of 18K with my skintone (but I do have 14K gold pieces)...so I mostly use that for custom projects. What I question is why use 18K (for 14k) for white gold? Some of my jewelers only carry 18K and up...but they are price competitive so I guess it evens out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results