shape
carat
color
clarity

Price increases?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad I went ahead and got my stones when I did. The dream 4-5 ct cushion now seems a distant dream. I certainly wouldn't pay the kind of prices they're fetching these days.

I'm right there with you ladies, but look on the bright side: at least we have our diamonds. Think of those young people trying to buy their first diamond now for an e ring! :errrr:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1313776030|2994356 said:
I'm so glad I went ahead and got my stones when I did. The dream 4-5 ct cushion now seems a distant dream. I certainly wouldn't pay the kind of prices they're fetching these days.

I'm right there with you ladies, but look on the bright side: at least we have our diamonds. Think of those young people trying to buy their first diamond now for an e ring! :errrr:

Soooooo true rosetta... :nono: I feel so much for all the people who were contemplating an ER purchase and as they were getting ready to buy, they got hit by the price increases...Imagine how frustrating it must be...trying to stretch your budget and make the best out of it in order to buy the biggest possible stone and all of a sudden finding out that you can only get a much smaller diamond for the same money....Damn...i get upset even by thinking about it... :errrr:

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
can i second the thought that im glad i bought jewelry when i did and that its a real shame to see what young couples are having to deal with when it comes to price and quality for wedding jewelry available in jewelry stores! i had a conversation a few days ago with a sales associate at a T.J .MAXX store...i asked why all the gold cased were filled with big costume jewelry and she said they no longer can find any affordable sources for gold jewelry and are replacing it with costume jewelry to fill the cases!Only a few years ago i bought decent 14 karat gold jewelry at their stores for $10 a gram retail ! yep...those days are gone!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
natyLad|1313782568|2994432 said:

Soooooo true rosetta... :nono: I feel so much for all the people who were contemplating an ER purchase and as they were getting ready to buy, they got hit by the price increases...Imagine how frustrating it must be...trying to stretch your budget and make the best out of it in order to buy the biggest possible stone and all of a sudden finding out that you can only get a much smaller diamond for the same money....Damn...i get upset even by thinking about it... :errrr:

You can say that again!!! :errrr: :angryfire: :(sad

I'm soo sad at all of this. Especially since I have been lurking for years, knowing the size & quality I wanted was within reach easily, then seeing it slip right before my eyes JUST as we became ready to buy! :(( Just my luck!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1313797303|2994612 said:
natyLad|1313782568|2994432 said:

You can say that again!!! :errrr: :angryfire: :(sad

I'm soo sad at all of this. Especially since I have been lurking for years, knowing the size & quality I wanted was within reach easily, then seeing it slip right before my eyes JUST as we became ready to buy! :(( Just my luck!

So sorry to hear that! Maybe you can upgrade over time (esp if diamond prices go down...you'd be set then!)

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Wow this sucks. I can barely afford to drive anymore (petrol is now around €1.50 a litre here) and now it looks like the diamond studs I've been saving for are going to rise out of my reach!

In simple terms...are the prices going to go back down?

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Cachette|1313697660|2993615 said:
gemgirl|1313677782|2993348 said:
I think we're officially at the point where it's gotten scary and ridiculous, and I can't see myself making anything new for some time to come. Booooo to that idea!

And I`ll say it (even though I know some people will shake their heads at me, I`m sorry); I`m angry that this price increase is happening because, to me, diamonds aren`t just a passing fancy; they are a love affair like no other and lately, when I come here on PS, I`m just getting upset because something that was within my reach a year or so ago (but hadn`t saved enough at that time), is gone forever. I`ll never play "catch up" for the size I want it seems. Even if I save longer it won`t make a friggen difference because prices will just keep going up and up. I know it`s not life altering or anything but it still saddens me terribly. I see such beautiful, big diamonds and I want one and I use to not be really envious of others who had them but now I am. I`m sorry for being such a big baby about this and this is the last time I`ll be negative (it`s not my normal frame of mind - honestly :)) ) Who knows, maybe I`ll get a great deal on a diamond one day. That would be really great.

Cachette :))

I thought this exact thing, about 5 years ago. My (now) husband and I had good jobs, but the prices just kept increasing at an incredible rate. We couldn't understand why prices were going so high, and couldn't figure out who could afford them. We basically wrote off ever making a purchase, resigning ourselves.

Except, we were looking at homes, not diamonds. How the world changes! There may be hope yet...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Unless I win the lottery, I will likely never have a diamond again. (My original diamond is long gone.) I think my priorities have changed significantly, which is good now with the price hikes. I see a lot of CZ in my future. :tongue:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, back in Sept of last year, I bought a 1.5 carat R (I like the color) round. The stone is gorgeous and because of the color and the fact that it was just off a tiny from being ideal, I got a great price - under $3000 if you can believe it. Now, no matter how hard I search I can't even find comparable goods, let alone anything that size in that price range. I'm glad I got it when I did, because I'll never be able to even contemplate a 1.5 carat anything going forward. The price increases have just been staggering. I always use my .81 VS2 H&A J from Blue Nile as a comparison. That stone has gone up about 1300, and for the price I paid, I would now take a 10 pt hit.

Crazy.

nararabbit

Shiny_Rock
I definitely feel you guys. :( I really love my ER because the stone and the setting were left to my husband by a family member he was very close to (who was childless.) While it's beautiful, and many people's fantasy (1.55 RB), I've always wanted a pear diamond. And my husband told me someday I could buy a pear when something else in our life settled down (which it just did last month!) Of course, now that I could have afforded what I wanted, it's now out of reach for me as well. So close, yet so far... ;(

I visited the GIA in Carlsbad recently and they had the most beautiful gray diamond in their colored diamond display. And it was a pear! I've been looking for another similar one since a grey diamond is less but I LOVE grey. I have not found one yet that's even close to the beauty or cut.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1313723542|2993976 said:
Cachette|1313697660|2993615 said:
gemgirl|1313677782|2993348 said:
I think we're officially at the point where it's gotten scary and ridiculous, and I can't see myself making anything new for some time to come. Booooo to that idea!

Seriously. Just when I`m close to saving what I need for an upgrade the prices have gone thru the roof.

I`ve wanted this upgrade for soooooo long and it looks like I`ll have to go WAY smaller then I wanted when I first started saving. It`s almost at the point that it would be a waste of funds to get the upgrade now because for what I can afford, it won`t be a lot bigger then what I have now.

It`s a terrible thing to love diamonds this much and realize that I`ll never come close to getting what I want.

And I`ll say it (even though I know some people will shake their heads at me, I`m sorry); I`m angry that this price increase is happening because, to me, diamonds aren`t just a passing fancy; they are a love affair like no other and lately, when I come here on PS, I`m just getting upset because something that was within my reach a year or so ago (but hadn`t saved enough at that time), is gone forever. I`ll never play "catch up" for the size I want it seems. Even if I save longer it won`t make a friggen difference because prices will just keep going up and up. I know it`s not life altering or anything but it still saddens me terribly. I see such beautiful, big diamonds and I want one and I use to not be really envious of others who had them but now I am. I`m sorry for being such a big baby about this and this is the last time I`ll be negative (it`s not my normal frame of mind - honestly :)) ) Who knows, maybe I`ll get a great deal on a diamond one day. That would be really great.

Cachette :))

I know just what you mean, Cachette - my anniversary isn't until November, and who knows what prices will be like by then! I'm staying optimistic, though, because at the end of the day, a generous budget is a generous budget, and there are always deals to be found if you hunt (even if, woe, I have to go to a ruby - :shock: :love: ). I'll also say, looking at the "Diamond Prices" tab under "Resources," you can see that the fluctuations aren't always a straight line - so who knows what the future holds?

P.S. - What's your ideal? We can all keep an eye out for one another ....

I've been saving for a 'big' (though likely much smaller than either of you two!) project for some time. I'm recent grad with fairly limited income--I do live a comfortable life which I am very grateful for, but my 'luxuries' budget is definitely small. It would have made more sense and would have been possible for me to buy a diamond I loved if I BOUGHT ON CREDIT last fall than by saving for the last year. ;( Baw! :-o :rolleyes: ;( :(sad :rolleyes: That is how I feel.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
nararabbit|1313854915|2995021 said:
I definitely feel you guys. :( I really love my ER because the stone and the setting were left to my husband by a family member he was very close to (who was childless.) While it's beautiful, and many people's fantasy (1.55 RB), I've always wanted a pear diamond. And my husband told me someday I could buy a pear when something else in our life settled down (which it just did last month!) Of course, now that I could have afforded what I wanted, it's now out of reach for me as well. So close, yet so far... ;(

I visited the GIA in Carlsbad recently and they had the most beautiful gray diamond in their colored diamond display. And it was a pear! I've been looking for another similar one since a grey diamond is less but I LOVE grey. I have not found one yet that's even close to the beauty or cut.

Gray diamond? Sounds interesting...don't think I've seen one.

Adam450

Rough_Rock
Ah! Planning on getting engaged sometime next year but I'm shopping now before prices get any higher!

A friend bought his e-ring a year ago for a fraction of what it's like now. I'm gonna have to shell out a fair bit more just to match their ring, let alone beat it! Whoa is me. :knockout: :blackeye:

ella86

Rough_Rock
My wedding set went up $300. I also priced out diamonds just to see and there is nothing near the same carat range as there was before at the prices we were looking at. CRAZY. I thought it was just this particular store that was jacking up the prices but I guess not. LAME.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results