shape
carat
color
clarity

Price Increases vs. Online Savings

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
The local jeweler I am using is perfectly fine with me putting a down payment on a diamond and putting it on layaway. Given that I can lock in a price now, will it likely be less expensive in the long run to go this route and avoid further price increases or would I probably save more money waiting a few months and buying online?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on what is he selling it now and what the projected rise in price is going to be. No one can really be sure of the second though.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Don't buy unless you're ready to buy and have found that "perfect" stone, and don't buy something now out of fear of what may or may not happen in the future. Personally, I have to admit that I was a little alarmed at the rise in diamond prices, but I'm not going to settle and buy something right now when I haven't found exactly what I want. I would rather keep searching and keep saving than settle on one right now.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
mrs jam|1309108266|2955463 said:
Don't buy unless you're ready to buy and have found that "perfect" stone, and don't buy something now out of fear of what may or may not happen in the future. Personally, I have to admit that I was a little alarmed at the rise in diamond prices, but I'm not going to settle and buy something right now when I haven't found exactly what I want. I would rather keep searching and keep saving than settle on one right now.

Thank you mrs jam, that helps a lot. I definitely won't be settling, I was more wondering whether I should aggressively look for that "perfect" diamond now with my local jeweler or wait to look aggressively with an online vendor. What exactly do you mean when you say "keep saving?"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaebond|1309109673|2955473 said:
mrs jam|1309108266|2955463 said:

Thank you mrs jam, that helps a lot. I definitely won't be settling, I was more wondering whether I should aggressively look for that "perfect" diamond now with my local jeweler or wait to look aggressively with an online vendor. What exactly do you mean when you say "keep saving?"

B&M vs. online?

You can almost certainly get better quality, lower price with better policies online.
They may even agree to a lay away.
Have you asked?

If only your B&M will agree to a layaway it may because their profit margin is so fat, and they certainly want to stop you from buying online.

Do your "online vs. B&M" homework first.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
It looks like Good Old Gold will do a layaway (I reserved this diamond for now: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7874/). As it is Sunday, most everywhere is closed, so I will wait to hear back from the other stores over the next few days.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, beautiful stone! I absolutely think you'll have a better selection of high quality stones at competitive prices than the typical local jeweler (unless you happen to live near Good Old Gold, for example!).

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1309128165|2955631 said:
Wow, beautiful stone! I absolutely think you'll have a better selection of high quality stones at competitive prices than the typical local jeweler (unless you happen to live near Good Old Gold, for example!).

Ditto! Very pretty stone!

It's so frustrating that the rising prices are causing many people to jump into action. Not that your doing the wrong thing...I agree that it may be the time start getting aggressive with your diamond search and it looks like you found a wonderful beautiful stone, but I've noticed many threads where people are so worried about the diamond price increase that they are buying up diamonds that they probably would have passed on if prices weren't rising. Again, not you, your stone is gorgeous! :love:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it's entirely possible that the stone from your local jeweler is competitively priced. you said it is an AGS0? but measures a little small? I would ask about one that measures a little larger and look online to compare prices.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
Christina...|1309148353|2955919 said:
It's so frustrating that the rising prices are causing many people to jump into action. Not that your doing the wrong thing...I agree that it may be the time start getting aggressive with your diamond search and it looks like you found a wonderful beautiful stone, but I've noticed many threads where people are so worried about the diamond price increase that they are buying up diamonds that they probably would have passed on if prices weren't rising. Again, not you, your stone is gorgeous! :love:

I am certainly going to try not to settle. In fact, as beautiful as that diamond is, I am not sure that I will be buying it, especially as I heard back from WF, BGD, and ID Jewels that they will do layaway. I do like the ASET (although I have only seen maybe 10 images to compare it to), but the table is a little small. Personally, I like a little larger table for one thing.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1309149105|2955926 said:
it's entirely possible that the stone from your local jeweler is competitively priced. you said it is an AGS0? but measures a little small? I would ask about one that measures a little larger and look online to compare prices.

That's pretty much the plan. I am going in on Thursday to see what they can find for me and I will have a few online diamonds to compare them with by then.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results