shape
carat
color
clarity

price increases on existing stock -- justified or not?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I read PCMusicGuy's post near the end of this thread https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-diamonds.153890/page-3#post-2959070#p2959070 this morning, and thought that his comments about vendors increasing prices on existing stock warranted its own thread. I know that I have wondered aloud, in other threads, why the demand in India and Asia for higher color/higher clarity diamonds means the prices of K VS1 stones (in existing stock!) need to go up -- never got much of an answer.

I believe the argument has been that vendors need to raise prices on all diamonds because replacing any diamond they sell is going to cost more.

But at what point do these uniform price increases become unsustainable, especially in lower-color-lower-clarity diamonds? I know for me, I've reached the "turn-off" point and plan to put my jewelry budget into colored stones rather than diamonds.

What do others think -- newbies and veterans? Do you think that the shortage of quality rough and the increase in demand from emerging markets justifies price increases on existing stock?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Lula|1309448290|2959085 said:
I read PCMusicGuy's post near the end of this thread https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-diamonds.153890/page-3#post-2959070#p2959070 this morning, and thought that his comments about vendors increasing prices on existing stock warranted its own thread. I know that I have wondered aloud, in other threads, why the demand in India and Asia for higher color/higher clarity diamonds means the prices of K VS1 stones (in existing stock!) need to go up -- never got much of an answer.

I believe the argument has been that vendors need to raise prices on all diamonds because replacing any diamond they sell is going to cost more.

But at what point do these uniform price increases become unsustainable, especially in lower-color-lower-clarity diamonds? I know for me, I've reached the "turn-off" point and plan to put my jewelry budget into colored stones rather than diamonds.

What do others think -- newbies and veterans? Do you think that the shortage of quality rough and the increase in demand from emerging markets justifies price increases on existing stock?

Caveat: I don't know much about diamond pricing.

But, I guess it makes sense. If there's huge demand and a limited supply, prices go up. It doesn't matter if the supply pre-existed the demand.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1309512953|2959705 said:
Lula|1309448290|2959085 said:

Caveat: I don't know much about diamond pricing.

But, I guess it makes sense. If there's huge demand and a limited supply, prices go up. It doesn't matter if the supply pre-existed the demand.

Yes, also there is less available for purchase and I'm sure that is an additional concern pushing prices up.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Ha-ha, I wondered where this thread went -- didn't think to look here :rolleyes:

Thanks for your replies.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
I don't know much about pricing diamonds, either.

But from a broader economic standpoint, I don't see how prices on existing stock could not go up. It's just like anything else--in an arm's-length deal, the price is based on what the market will bear, and not on how much the seller paid.

To look at it another way, if I were a diamond dealer and I saw that other dealers were not raising their prices on existing stock, I would buy out their existing stock and resell it at the current market value!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results