shape
carat
color
clarity

Price-guides

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chrysoz

Rough_Rock
Hi all!
I am 15 and live in sweden, not the paradise for gem-lovers directly... but to the case: Does anybody know where to find a correct price-guide for colored, both ordinary gemstones such as topaz and others, and more unusual collectibles. (I do understand there can''t be ONE correct price guide, but there must be some better than others, mustn''t it..?)
I would really appreciate some help!

Besides, here is a part of my collection. Even if you have seen both better pics and better collections, admit it''s quite good for a 15-years-old.

Hela Sortimentet.JPG

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Wow. I''m impressed.

The Guide is probably your best colored stone pricing guide, but it is only available to those in the trade. Costs about $175 per year.

Chrysoz

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much!

Right now, i dont think I can affort to pay, but i will have that site close in my mind when I can.
I guess the ones for free (if there are some, haven''t seen any..) is not closely as good as that one.

have you tried gemval?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is some collection - can you tell us some more about it.

And about you: how long have you been collecting? How did you get started?

(And how come my parents didn''t give me enough pocket money so that I had rocks like those at 15
31.gif
)

Chrysoz

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/16/2007 7:52:58 AM
Author: Pandora II
Wow, that is some collection - can you tell us some more about it.

And about you: how long have you been collecting? How did you get started?

(And how come my parents didn''t give me enough pocket money so that I had rocks like those at 15
31.gif
)
Thanks a lot!
Everything started with some roch crystals I got as a birthday gift when I was 5. after two years, I looked at them again, and thought "what a beautyful..." you know the rest..
2.gif
I began to buy some crystals and cheap tumbled stones from my money I got from my parents (1,5$ per week..)
At the age of 9, I started to get interested in rock. I went to old mines, and i still do. There is some really nice mines here in sweden, did you know that the mine which has the greatest numer of minerals in the world is located quite close to me. It is namned "Långban".
Since 4 years back (when I was 11) I have gotten interested in faceted stones. I have learned quickly, but I have always had one problem. The money.
I am not rich at all, not even close. We have a bookshop in town and i get about 25$ per month.
In a year, I bought only in the single gemshop here in sweden (stockholm, and yes, there is only one in the whole country..) But the expensive prices did prevent my collection to grow large.
But then, I noticed an auction-site in sweden, and it became cheaper but also more risky (a lot more fakes you had to look out for.)
After one more year buying some spinels, garnets and cheap rubies and sapphires I discovered Ebay. And in two years, I have spent much time trying to find honest sellers on ebay (which is not the easiest...)
I can share some of my knowledge if you want..?
But I had still the problem with the money...but i solved it quite soon.
I bought a lot of quite cheap rubies and spphires, but still natural, and sold on the auction-site where I used to buy.
After some time, I have build a large bussines, but it is growing. The three paper boxes at the picture is what i have for sale for the moment. and by now, I have got enough money to buy my own instruments (got them just a week ago
1.gif
)
Now, the bussiness is going well. I am also buying in demand for customers who know what they want, and... or well, that is the whole story. Hope you didn''t get too bored
2.gif

CaityJ

Rough_Rock
This is an amazing collection you have! And a business, too! I cannot wait to see and read more from you. Do you have a favourite stone you can post a picture of?

ETA: Unfortunately, I can't help you with price guides.

Chrysoz

Rough_Rock
yes, I do have a favorite stone, and surprisingly, that stone is also my favorite bargain (there is such words in the gem-market too)
It is an UNTREATED heliodor (yellow emerald) on 12,44 carats from Brazil, cut into a "Master''s emerald cut".
Heliodor is nearly always treated to get this vivid color, but this is completely untreated and unheated.
I could barely belive this was true (I paid only 32$ for it on ebay) so I did check with a friend of mine, an independent gemmologist. He confirmed the whole story, so this is my favorite stone AND one of my best buys also.

I deleted the image after posting it on "loose stone eyecandy!!!" so please check my pictures on the 3:rd page on that post.
Sorry I couldn''t get them here but I cant my tramsfer pics from my camera to this computer.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the heliodor:
heliodore.JPG

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Great collection! Thanks for sharing! Gemology career in your future??

Jeff Averbook, G.G. (Graduate Gemologist since 1986)

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

CaityJ

Rough_Rock
You''re definitely one to watch! (As is that lovely heliodor!)

Chrysoz

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/17/2007 9:30:34 AM
Author: Modified Brilliant
Great collection! Thanks for sharing! Gemology career in your future??

Jeff Averbook, G.G. (Graduate Gemologist since 1986)

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com
I will always have gemmology as an element in my career, but I am very into science too... I will let the time show what I will really work with, but I am almost sure it will be something that includes Gemstones and minerals.
I have got the best mark there is in all subject in school(ok..only the second best in music
2.gif
) so I will have a hard time chosing the goal of my education.
But, I am sure you will hear more from me over time...

thanks all for listening to this boasting! I have got an exellent welcome and I am sure this will be my second home until I''m 120 years old
16.gif

In about a year I think I will havemy own gemstone-site ready(I can get a creditcard when sixteen), I will let you know then.

sodagar

Rough_Rock
I am really admire your interest in gemology and gems ,I would like to know more about your business setup ,how you have started it and how you are manging it when you are only 15 , thats amazing .

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow that''s quite a collection, love that your found your passion early!!!
1.gif

Chrysoz

Rough_Rock
Thanks kaleigh and sodagar!
You have to tell me of I write something I have already written before...(can''t stand to read my loooong replys once more...)
My bussines is quite complicated. I don''t have to register a business or anything, because I make less than 4000$ a year. Then, it''s still called a "hobby" in Sweden.
If you had the patience to read all replys in this post, you know when I began.
About 18 months ago I sold the first gemstone here in sweden, which I had bought on ebay. since then, I have probably made about 2000$, quite a lot of money if you buy from ebay.
I keep the best stones I buy for myself, but sell the rest.
The problem is (that you may have understood already) that you have to be over 18 years old to sell and buy, both on ebay and the auctionsite here in sweden: www.tradera.com
Therefore, all payment are going through my dads paypal account and bank account, but..it work even if it takes quite some time with all transfers
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I am very impressed. I have a feeling that you will go a long way!

You''ve also got me into trouble with my FI! I told him about you and he says that I should look at your example and stop procrastinating about my own business!

Fantastic collection as well.

Chrysoz

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/22/2007 12:44:51 PM
Author: Pandora II
Wow, I am very impressed. I have a feeling that you will go a long way!

You''ve also got me into trouble with my FI! I told him about you and he says that I should look at your example and stop procrastinating about my own business!

Fantastic collection as well.
5.gif

FineAfricanGems

Rough_Rock
Great Job mate. I have never seen someone your age with such a good collection. In fact your collection appears outstanding compared with many who have been in the industry for years.It seems you have the 'eye' for good stone which can make you very wealthy in this business.

Well picked on the heliodor from Ebay. You're right that there are bargains to be had if you have a good 'mental database' of gems. I bought a 1200ct complete gem crystal of Imperial Topaz for $40 USD! It has been recently valued at $18,000 USD. I got it so low because the picture was really bad and other potential buyers couldn't see what I saw.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results