shape
carat
color
clarity

Price gap

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
This is a pretty general question, and I am obviously new to the colored stone game. Why is there such a huge disparity in prices among apparently equal sapphires? I have found heated stones that were twice as much as an equal unheated stone and of course vice versa. The only thing I can think of is cut, which typically doesnt show well in photos. It seems like the lesser known websites have the lower priced stones which appear equal to some on the "big boys" sites. I''ve been around long enough to know that there is no free lunch, so what is typically the trade off on the lesser known sites?

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There could be many reasons. Cut is certainly one of them but the number, type and visibility of inclusions, zoning and precise color are also important factors. And just as the same merchandise may be less expensive at Wal Mart than at a store with expensive overhead downtown, each seller has a different profit margin based on the cost of doing business. There''s also what I call the Pride of Ownership Factor. I can make gold squiggle pins very much like the ones Paloma Picasso sells for $3K at Tiffany but somehow I can''t get close to the same price
9.gif

There are also several different methods of "heating" sapphires. Low heat only stones bring higher prices (all things being equal) than stones known to be heated at near-melting temperatures with light elements like beryllium that are foreign to the stones'' original chemical composition. There are probably other factors but those come quickly to mind.

Richard M.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2008 12:50:35 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Beware the ''bargains''.

You usually get exactly what you pay for. Sometimes not even that.
I saw an indicolite today. 3.35 ct for $125! I passed.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I think tropicmaster understands that the cheap stones are cheap for a reason. What he wants to know is the reason--what makes the more expensive ones better?

GemRite

Rough_Rock
If it is too good to be true is usually is. I have seen and heard of many things being done to stones and not listing it in the auction. Generally stick to someone that has been recommended to you. I have been nervous to deal with Thai''s, I always buy my rough directly from the Country of origin. I would just ask the people here on the forums for help. Everyone will shot you straight, and make recommendations and successes they have had with other companies and individuals. The ones that are generally more expensive is due to origin, color, clarity, untreated, and cut. Origin of the gem can demand more than the stone of the exact weight, color, clarity, and untreated from a different region. Burmese sapphires are prized by collectors. Richard Wise is really good about the break down of the science. I hope that gives you a little help.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results