shape
carat
color
clarity

Price Discrepancy

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm new here, I just recently got my first lab grown diamond. I was searching to see if I got a good price and I came upon an almost identical stone on a well know website for $10,453. I then searched the IGI number and found it on another site for $2,881.
Can anyone explain how on earth there can be such a huge discrepancy in pricing for the SAME stone?

Thanks for any help

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
That’s normal in the lab market. Vendors are free to charge whatever they like. Always compare pricing between vendors.

Agreed.

I just bought my lab that I recut from loosegrown diamonds. It was $1,000 more on brilliance (with the 20% off) and $3500 more on Adiamor.

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
Can you return it? Hopefully you didn't lose too much

Agreed.

I just bought my lab that I recut from loosegrown diamonds. It was $1,000 more on brilliance (with the 20% off) and $3500 more on Adiamor.

Wow, Adiamor is the site that had the stone for $2881 and the other store was asking over 10k. I just assumed Adiamor was the place to shop. I can post the other site's name if it's allowed.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Depending on the stone the lowest price is not always offered by the same vendor. I have seen Adiamor listing the same stone for a lower price than loosegrowndiamond/brilliance and vice versa. Always compare prices.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Go ahead and post the name! And did you check LooseGrownDiamond? Did you already pay the $10k? We all hope you didn’t! (Or at least can get the best price.)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Adiamor is the site that had the stone for $2881 and the other store was asking over 10k. I just assumed Adiamor was the place to shop. I can post the other site's name if it's allowed.

Hello and welcome to PriceScope, dylanandtyler!
Yes, you are allowed to post vendor names.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
Can you return it? Hopefully you didn't lose too much.

Thanks but no, can't return as was made into an engagement ring in St Thomas, so no tax. Plus the cut was more ideal than the somewhat comparable I've been looking at. Mine is stunning!
Same stone comp at loosediamonds is yet $600 cheaper than Adiamor! This pricing difference between over 10K (at a reputable site) to $2282 is absolutely nuts!

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
What carat weight?

This is the close comp stone IGI618471130.
Mine is 3.62 as well and all proportions are same except for PA....mine is 40.4 which I feel is more ideal. Rare Carat price for this stone is over 10K...loosediamonds is $2282. I just can't imagine such a price difference!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As the others have said, there's no rhyme nor reason to vendor pricing. I will add, though, that proportions and carat weight aren't the only factors for a fair comparison for me personally. Material quality and cut precision matter too.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
This is the close comp stone IGI618471130.
Mine is 3.62 as well and all proportions are same except for PA....mine is 40.4 which I feel is more ideal. Rare Carat price for this stone is over 10K...loosediamonds is $2282. I just can't imagine such a price difference!

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
Depending on the stone the lowest price is not always offered by the same vendor. I have seen Adiamor listing the same stone for a lower price than loosegrowndiamond/brilliance and vice versa. Always compare prices.

So good to know! We bought before I found this site....may have made different choices but I still love what I've got! Mine is 3.62 CW, 57 table
, 35.9CA, 40.6 PA, 62.3 depth. I know 39.9 CA is not recommended, but I think it works with the PA. Cost was 6K set in platinum, no tax. And a romantic story to go with it! : )
I'm now shopping for a friend and want to help her as best I can.

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
Go ahead and post the name! And did you check LooseGrownDiamond? Did you already pay the $10k? We all hope you didn’t! (Or at least can get the best price.)

Thanks 0515 vision. No...10K was not even in site for me. Paid 6K set in platinum with no tax. I love it, has crazy fire due to higher CA and now understand the proportions are just the start of the search. I may have gotten lucky because I got an ASET scope it looks like all the ideal pics I've seen.
Rare Carat is 10K and loosegrowndiamonds is $2880 for the same stone. Not mine, but a similar proportioned stone with a lesser than ideal cut. Just can't imagine such a difference in cost on same stone.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
LG618471130 is $2000 at rockher

For reference stonealgo is pretty good at tracking prices across most vendors.

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
As the others have said, there's no rhyme nor reason to vendor pricing. I will add, though, that proportions and carat weight aren't the only factors for a fair comparison for me personally. Material quality and cut precision matter too.

Yes Kim, I agree completely! I feel I got very lucky because I was able to see this stone in person, and that's what sold me. I had no knowledge of ideal cut proportions and most might say my CA is too steep at 35.9, but my PA is 40.6. It works perfectly and it's fire is amazing. When we bought, if I had more knowledge then, I probably would have dismissed it.
I'm now looking for a friend, and the pricing difference for the same stone is astounding. I just want to help her

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
LG618471130 is $2000 at rockher

For reference stonealgo is pretty good at tracking prices across most vendors.

OMG 0-0-0! I really wish I had the guidance of this site and everyone here to help me with my purchase. I'm now looking for a friend and would not recommend this stone because of CA 35.8 and PA 40.8. It falls out of ideal, am I correct? PA should be 40.6?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
OMG 0-0-0! I really wish I had the guidance of this site and everyone here to help me with my purchase. I'm now looking for a friend and would not recommend this stone because of CA 35.8 and PA 40.8. It falls out of ideal, am I correct? PA should be 40.6?

Just let us know the following details and we'll make some recommendations that you can pass along to your friend!

Shape
Carat weight range
Color grades
Clarity grades
Budget cap

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
@DejaWiz found the video of your stone. It’s gorgeous! Congrats!

Hi, my actual stone # is LG606345270. The other referenced stone was the closest I could find to a comparison. Is there a way to pull up a stone that is already purchased?

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
Just let us know the following details and we'll make some recommendations that you can pass along to your friend!

Shape
Carat weight range
Color grades
Clarity grades
Budget cap

Thanks!
round
3.5 ish TCW
G-E
VVS1-2
cut will determine budget cap

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, my actual stone # is LG606345270. The other referenced stone was the closest I could find to a comparison. Is there a way to pull up a stone that is already purchased?
Some of the geniuses here might be able to find it. I couldn't find it on loupe360.

But you said you saw it in person? Might not have a video readily available. I've noticed Alex Park (an IG vendor) often has stones without accessible videos.

I'm excited to see what the experts here find for your friend!

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
Some of the geniuses here might be able to find it. I couldn't find it on loupe360.

But you said you saw it in person? Might not have a video readily available. I've noticed Alex Park (an IG vendor) often has stones without accessible videos.

I'm excited to see what the experts here find for your friend!

Thanks again 0515vision, Yes, saw it when we bought. It was stunning before I even saw the IGI. Date was Nov 3, 2023 so may be too old. 57 table, 35.9 CA, 40.6 PA, 62.3 depth, 15.5%crown, 42.5% Pav. Had zero knowledge on proportions, may may have just got lucky it works so well.

I'm hoping for something similar for my friend, but maybe with more traditional Tolkowsky proportions.

Excited to find the perfect stone for her!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
That $2000 one you've already pointed out seems pretty great. Granted, others here will find stones more aligned with our usual parameters. If she's able to do so, maybe she can buy two different cuts and compare them in person.

dylanandtyler

Rough_Rock
That $2000 one you've already pointed out seems pretty great. Granted, others here will find stones more aligned with our usual parameters. If she's able to do so, maybe she can buy two different cuts and compare them in person.

Great suggestion! There's more to cut than 2D proportions.....I've learned that here!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!
round
3.5 ish TCW
G-E
VVS1-2
cut will determine budget cap

Here are three beautiful stones I found. If you like one, be sure to put it on hold so a lurker doesn't snipe it.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two runners-up:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results