shape
carat
color
clarity

Price differentials at the high end!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gonnadoit

Rough_Rock
I have done the education thing and now I am shopping around, however, I still am a bit confused as to some of the differentials at the high end.Take for example the following:Stone#1: round brilliant
Cut: Ideal
Color: D
Clarity: IF
Carat: 1.01
Depth: 61.1%
Table: 56%
Polish: V. Good
Symmetry: V. Good
Cutlet: V. Small
Girdle: t-mf
Flor: Faint
Price: $14,665Stone#2: round brilliant
Cut: Ideal
Color: D
Clarity: IF
Carat: 1.09
Depth: 61.1%
Table: 56%
Polish: V. Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Cutlet: None
Girdle: mf
Flor: None
Price: $14,731Am I to believe that even though the two stones are 0.07 carats apart, that the prices are virtually the same due to the marginal differences in the latter variables?Any insights are more than welcome.

Sponsored By:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Request the crown and pavilion data via the GIA - they will give it out only to the owner who submitted the diamonds for certing.
Paying this much - you owe it to yourself to get it right.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
You could inquire about Sarin or Ogi measurements for these diamonds to obtain crown and pavilion measurements. You have to watch out for steep/deep crown/pavilion.What are the measurements for these diamonds?You also might want to hire independent professional gemologist/appraiser to help with the selection.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I plugged the data for #2 into DiamCalc ( http://www.cutstudy.com/octonus/english/diamcalc/index.htm ) and it fits ok with close to Tolkowski proportions.I wasn't able to get nice combinations of crown and pavilion for #1...Based on the data #2 looks like better deal but you have to compare them yourself or better yet with independent expert.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
D-IF are very rear so the price could vary quite a bit.Are they from the same source? What grading reports do they have?How do you know that they are ideal? Do you know crown and pavilion angles?

Gonnadoit

Rough_Rock
Leonid,Thanks for the quick evaluation!I'll play with the software you mention as well.The hunt continues...

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A sarin or ogi would yeild much more info, but the second diamond is much more in round and *could be* the better cut diamond.
smile.gif
It just hit me. I've seen the second diamond! It is from one of our suppliers, nice stone, but I don't remember the details.------------------
StevL Dems Jewelers Eightstar Diamond Tundra Diamonds

Gonnadoit

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply.I checked and both stones are certified by GIA. They are also from the same source.Unfortunately the GIA reports don't give crown or pavilion angles, so I guess I should be a bit suspicious at best.Would you have any suggested parameter ranges to keep in mind, if they are able to supply such information?

Gonnadoit

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your insights about the Sarin and Ogi measures.For your information the measurements for each diamond are:Stone#1:
6.39 x 6.49 x 3.94Stone#2:
6.63 x 6.66 x 4.06Is there some way of caluclating angles via these measurements?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results