shape
carat
color
clarity

Price difference

Klee_Bee

Rough_Rock
Hello there! Does anyone have any idea why there is this price difference between these two stones? Apparently they seem to have the same characteristics (e-vvs2, both have hearts&arrows on the certificate) but apparently there are other aspects to consider that I don't know. Thanks for your help!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can be any number of things, but my guess is it's related to the report date and the cost of acquisition. I prefer the proportions on the cheaper of the two.

Klee_Bee

Rough_Rock
It can be any number of things, but my guess is it's related to the report date and the cost of acquisition. I prefer the proportions on the cheaper of the two.

Thank you very much! Can I ask you why you prefer the proportions of the cheaper one? Could it be because they give a better result in terms of shine? I wonder how to recognize good proportions for a stone. Sorry but I'm still trying to learn

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a relative newbie, but I'll try to shed some light. The more expensive one has a crown angle of 33.9 which is slightly shallow. You end up with a shorter crown height of 14 and a shallower depth at 60.4.

The other stone has a crown angle of 34.1 which is in our preferred range of 34-35. Plus, it's paired nicely with a little pavilion angle of 40.8 (bc CAs on the shallower end of the spectrum do well with slightly deeper PA). You then get a crown height of 14.5 which tends to give a little more fire.

@Kim N and @DejaWiz, can you check my homework? :read:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a relative newbie, but I'll try to shed some light. The more expensive one has a crown angle of 33.9 which is slightly shallow. You end up with a shorter crown height of 14 and a shallower depth at 60.4.

The other stone has a crown angle of 34.1 which is in our preferred range of 34-35. Plus, it's paired nicely with a little pavilion angle of 40.8 (bc CAs on the shallower end of the spectrum do well with slightly deeper PA). You then get a crown height of 14.5 which tends to give a little more fire.

@Kim N and @DejaWiz, can you check my homework? :read:

Spot on!

The more expensive one also has a 59 table, so it's closer to a 60/60 style diamond, which leans towards brightness over fire.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are differences in the flavour of these cuts as previous posters noted, but they are both very well cut. Most non-experts likely could not tell them apart. Even if the lower priced stone wasn’t also the more classically proportioned (which it is, I would also choose it for better balance of light play) it would make sense to let price dictate your choice.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
In a nutshell, here's my own personal take:
For the higher price tags, I would expect (and demand) absolute perfection.
I'm not seeing seeing absolute perfection from either diamond.

Around $4500 lands you a diamond like this:

360 Video:

GIA Grading Report:

Last edited:

Klee_Bee

Rough_Rock
In a nutshell, here's my own personal take:
For the higher price tags, I would expect (and demand) absolute perfection.
I'm not seeing seeing absolute perfection from either diamond.

Around $4500 lands you a diamond like this:

360 Video:

GIA Grading Report:

Thank you all guys!! But for this, are you talking about perfection in terms of proportions or the fact that the stone you showed is D-vvs1? where could I find a stone like that? I want to buy on WF because they have the setting that I like, and I can't buy the stone separately because I'm in Italy and I can't make multiple passes.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all guys!! But for this, are you talking about perfection in terms of proportions or the fact that the stone you showed is D-vvs1? where could I find a stone like that? I want to buy on WF because they have the setting that I like, and I can't buy the stone separately because I'm in Italy and I can't make multiple passes.

Moreso about the finer details of cut precision.
Here you go:

Klee_Bee

Rough_Rock
Here you go:

Thank you so much!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Klee_Bee

Rough_Rock
You're very welcome!

For now we are still watching and we will not buy in the immediate future, we will try to learn as much as possible from all of you and what you write. In the future, when it is time to purchase, we will ask for your invaluable advice again!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go:

These are stunning and better than the two in the OP.

Klee_Bee

Rough_Rock
These are stunning and better than the two in the OP.

Thanks! Are they better due to proportions or “only” color and clarity characteristics?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Are they better due to proportions or “only” color and clarity characteristics?

Cut precision...the care that the cutter took results in much tighter cut precision for each diamond.
Cut precision goes well beyond a rather generic "excellent" or "ideal" cut grade moniker printed on a grading report.

Klee_Bee

Rough_Rock
Cut precision...the care that the cutter took results in much tighter cut precision for each diamond.
Cut precision goes well beyond a rather generic "excellent" or "ideal" cut grade moniker printed on a grading report.

How can cut precision be deduced? I couldn't tell which of all these stones are best cut, and I wonder how to figure it out. Sorry for the many questions but I'm newbie.

I noticed that the proportions of the two you proposed are quite different, for example in one the table is 56 and the other 59. Could you tell me where I can read to understand what differences they can cause and what the best proportions are based on what you want to get? Thanks!

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
How can cut precision be deduced? I couldn't tell which of all these stones are best cut, and I wonder how to figure it out. Sorry for the many questions but I'm newbie.

I noticed that the proportions of the two you proposed are quite different, for example in one the table is 56 and the other 59. Could you tell me where I can read to understand what differences they can cause and what the best proportions are based on what you want to get? Thanks!

Both of the diamonds that I posted have a 56% table. :)

Here are some education articles to get your journey into cut precision started:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Crown, angles and pavilion angles are more important than the table size. Notice both of these have crown angles between 34-35, and their pavilion is at 40.8.

When a crown angle is on the shallower side, do you want a slightly deeper pavilion angle and vice versa.

Klee_Bee

Rough_Rock
Both of the diamonds that I posted have a 56% table. :)

Here are some education articles to get your journey into cut precision started:

sorry I read wrong! xD thank you so much!! :D

Klee_Bee

Rough_Rock
Crown, angles and pavilion angles are more important than the table size. Notice both of these have crown angles between 34-35, and their pavilion is at 40.8.

When a crown angle is on the shallower side, do you want a slightly deeper pavilion angle and vice versa.

Thanks, you were very helpful! ^^

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results