shape
carat
color
clarity

price difference white gold vs. platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cherry

Rough_Rock
I want to ask what the price difference between white gold and platinum (tiffany setting) is.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Prices depend on the quality of manufacturing, design and finishing that goes into a setting so prices will vary quite a bit. But, a basic lower end solitaire in 14kt could start at $150-$250 and the comparable platinum mount should be around twice the price or slightly more. Platinum is much denser so the same or comparable mount will weigh a lot more in platinum. Gold today is at $390 and platinum is at $752. Remember the density makes the comparable mount weigh more so there is a big weight difference on a ring that has matching dimensions. And 14kt is only .585 parts gold, the remainder being various alloys used in the 'recipe'.

I would recommend going with a better quality mount than these for a diamond engagement ring. Smart insurance! I have always liked Jabel mounts because they are die struck and very well made if you are looking for a basic mount.

Cindy

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know how much more 19k WG would be? I assume it would still be cheaper than platinum, but I've also heard that it's hard to come by, so maybe not ....

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi Roxy,

You would have to find someone that manufactures 19kt and that will be very difficult. I haven't seen a 19kt setting. I do own a 20kt Edwardian mounting in white gold but I have never heard of 19kt. Is this something you have just heard of or did you see it? Maybe someone electronically tested a setting and it came up as 19kt? Probably manufactured as 18kt? The 'recipes' can vary a tad. I do use an electronic tester and find some pieces will vary throughout...Cindy

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I see. This is just something I've heard of, but the person who wrote about it (it was on a thread from a different forum) seemed very knowledgeable (hhmmm).

I am interested in white gold, so I started searching for info and came across a discussion that mentioned 19kt WG. I'd never heard of it before, and can't seem to find many who have, so I thought I'd ask around here and see what I could find out.

I might try to dig up the old thread and contact the writer to try to get the bottom of this because, the way he/she described it, 19kt sounded great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results