shape
carat
color
clarity

Price comparison on shapes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gscp54

Rough_Rock
All other things being equal, from most to least expensive, what is the order in pricing of different shapes. I believe it's marquise, emerald, round, princess, oval. Is this correct ? Thanks for the help, anyone who can answer

catatonic

Rough_Rock
Don't quote me, but I believe that rounds are traditionally most expensive because they are most difficult to cut. Emerald cuts are usually at the less expensive end of the chart because they are easier to cut by virtue of the "step" facets. The other shapes usually fall somewhere in between....with some exceptions based on the cut quality of each stone and/or its market demand/popularity.

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
I think that I've read somewhere on this forum that round diamonds are the most expensive because they waste the greatest amount of diamond during the cutting process, and because they are the most popular. Emeralds are the least expensive because they are closest to the natural shape of the diamond crystal. I'm not sure where the rest of the fancy shapes would fall in the price continum.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I know that marquise actually look much larger than they are. I held a 2 carat marquise up to a 4 carat princess & from the top down they looked the same. I personally don't like them, but my best friend has a lovely ring with a 2 carat marquise and she loves it because she got more POW size wow factor with it. Ovals also look larger for how they are cut. Trillons carry more size with less weight as well. Rounds look larger than princesses, and I heard Emeralds can be more expensive due to the need for a very high quality clarity and color. I guess it all goes to what you like. But if you want the look of say-- a 1 carat diamond, but can only afford .50 to .75, go with a marquise, because that .50 or .75 is gonna look close to a carat! Its all with what you want.

Just a hack here, not a pro, only know what I know from shopping and being a ring addict. :) I am probably wrong on some of these things and welcome any constructive correction that could sharpen my knowledge! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results