shape
carat
color
clarity

Price Check?

torkibe

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

I'm very sorry if I'm way out of bounds asking this question here but I am rather lost. I have a jeweler that I have always trusted but now google has me second guessing myself. I bought my wife a pair of princess cut stud earrings for Christmas, but I'm wondering if I really paid too much. Is there any way I could get a "What one could expect to pay" or is that impossible? I can post the GIA specs. Some things I look at make me think I got a great price and some make me wonder... Is it possible?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there anything specific that is bothering you about the stones in regard to price?

torkibe

Rough_Rock
I seem to see stones significantly cheaper online and I'm not sure how much of a difference a few pts of a carat make, how much a slight difference in inclusions makes, how much actually setting the stone costs, etc.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post all the specs including table, depth, crown angle and pavillion angle.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pricing in a brick and mortar retail store will always be higher than sourcing from the internet. There are pro’s and cons both ways. Certified stones will always cost more than non-certified as well. It all depends on how you view the purchase. Are you buying them as a sentimental gift? Or do you want her to have the option to up trade them one day perhaps? Were they supposed to be “investment” grade? Most likely not. I don’t think you shouldn’t trust your jeweler [unless you got gauged] but they have a much higher overhead to pay for in that retail space as well. Maybe the silver lining here is that moving forward you have the option to purchase another gift online, saving you hundreds if not thousands. Just make sure whomever you purchase them from has a return policy and maybe a warranty [depending on the online vendor].

torkibe

Rough_Rock
whitewave|1481723003|4107129 said:
Post all the specs including table, depth, crown angle and pavillion angle.

I'll do that as soon as I get home. I started the thread last night and I didn't bring the docs with me to work :wall: .

torkibe

Rough_Rock
blingmeupscotty|1481725306|4107137 said:
Pricing in a brick and mortar retail store will always be higher than sourcing from the internet. There are pro’s and cons both ways. Certified stones will always cost more than non-certified as well. It all depends on how you view the purchase. Are you buying them as a sentimental gift? Or do you want her to have the option to up trade them one day perhaps? Were they supposed to be “investment” grade? Most likely not. I don’t think you shouldn’t trust your jeweler [unless you got gauged] but they have a much higher overhead to pay for in that retail space as well. Maybe the silver lining here is that moving forward you have the option to purchase another gift online, saving you hundreds if not thousands. Just make sure whomever you purchase them from has a return policy and maybe a warranty [depending on the online vendor].

A gift yes, but if I upgraded later I wouldn't be upset that she didn't keep the original. Not an investment. How much added cost would there be if I bought the stones online and then had a jeweler mount them?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
torkibe|1481735595|4107190 said:
blingmeupscotty|1481725306|4107137 said:

A gift yes, but if I upgraded later I wouldn't be upset that she didn't keep the original. Not an investment. How much added cost would there be if I bought the stones online and then had a jeweler mount them?

Unless the settings you want are specific to this jeweler, you are just buying yourself complications and problems by buying stones and settings from two separate sources. Go with an online vendor we recommend here--ID Jewelry is a great one for high quality stones on a budget. Call up Yuketiel and tell him Pricescope sent you. Website: http://idjewelry.com/ (but call for best service)

Buying locally is nice if it's an item that is going to need a lot maintenance, but I think the money you save by buying online is worth any hassle later to have repairs done.

torkibe

Rough_Rock
whitewave|1481723003|4107129 said:
Post all the specs including table, depth, crown angle and pavilion angle.

----

----

screen_shot_2016-12-14_at_5.png

screen_shot_2016-12-14_at_0.png

torkibe

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1481756872|4107315 said:

Well, if that is an example of a great online price he gave me a great price. I put together almost the exact same pair using the closest stones and what appears to be the exact same setting and his price was actually $50 less. And he gave me a gift basket full of cookies and wine and a juicy couture bag, and he always cleans my stuff for free... So all in all I'd say it's a win!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a win win! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results