shape
carat
color
clarity

Price advice on an Oval Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenzos

Rough_Rock
Help required...
I think I have found a superb diamond...just need some quick advice:-
oval diamond, v.good cut, 1.4ct, Vg/ge, 1.4 ratio, med-thick girdle, depth 64%, table 59% @ $8,500.....seems like a good deal with GIA certificate.

What do you think...??
thanks.....kenzos:twirl:

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
Color and clarity?

kenzos

Rough_Rock
can't beleive I forgot those!!! F VS 1

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
Did you go to the Good Old Gold web site? Jonathan has a 1.36/D/VS-1 oval there. He doesn't list a price, but when I inquired about it, he priced it at $8,725 bank wire and around $8,900 or so credit card. (I don't know how negotiable his prices are, but if you're interested, it couldn't hurt to ask)! Would it be worth several hundred dollars to move up in color? Might depend on how you intend to mount it. I suspect the marketplace would say that the D-color is the better buy, and if Jonathan could either price match or split the difference, then it becomes a no-brainer. Anyway, check this one out and use it for comparison purposes if nothing else. At over $6,000/carat, neither of these diamonds is cheap, but you probably already knew that. Best of luck!

dagsmcd

Rough_Rock
I was hoping to run this by the forum for some collective wisdom (especially Leonid).

I've been looking at some loose ovals for a solitare engagement ring, around 1.5 carats. I recently went to a reputable wholesaler in NY and viewed several. One in particualr jumped out: 1.52 c, E, vs2. No bowtie at all and terrific fire, (yes, I made sure I took it out of those halogen lights to get a good look). Price: a little more than $9900.

One thing bothers me, however. The GIA didn't seem to reflect (no pun intended) what I was looking at. In particular, the diamond was quite shallow, aroung 55% depth, with a comparable % table. A lot of variation in the girdle as well (thin to thick). Good polish and symmetry, however, with no floresence.

So should I trust my eyes, or the paper? Or am I being just too paranoid?

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 12/9/2002 2:32:58 PM

I was hoping to run this by the forum for some collective wisdom (especially Leonid).

I've been looking at some loose ovals for a solitare engagement ring, around 1.5 carats. I recently went to a reputable wholesaler in NY and viewed several. One in particualr jumped out: 1.52 c, E, vs2. No bowtie at all and terrific fire, (yes, I made sure I took it out of those halogen lights to get a good look). Price: a little more than $9900.

One thing bothers me, however. The GIA didn't seem to reflect (no pun intended) what I was looking at. In particular, the diamond was quite shallow, aroung 55% depth, with a comparable % table. A lot of variation in the girdle as well (thin to thick). Good polish and symmetry, however, with no floresence.

So should I trust my eyes, or the paper? Or am I being just too paranoid?

----------------

I think that you should trust your eyes, because that is what you will enjoy the beauty of a diamond with for years to come. On the other hand, the price that you pay ought to coincide with the technical specifications of the stone. Using the Dave Atlas cut chart and the price stats available on pricescope, it seems that $9,900 is rather expensive for this diamond. I think that if you are willing to keep looking, you should be able to get a comparable diamond for under $9,000.

kenzos

Rough_Rock
hi...checked out goodoldgold and the 1.36ct is very nice - but for $8.9k is it slightly highly priced?
it;s about $1.5k outside my budget, but looks nice
Kenzos

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 12/9/2002 6:18:09 PM

hi...checked out goodoldgold and the 1.36ct is very nice - but for $8.9k is it slightly highly priced?
it;s about $1.5k outside my budget, but looks nice
Kenzos
----------------

Yes, it does seem to me that the diamonds on goodoldgold tend to be priced a bit on the high side. In their defense, I imagine that their equipment is expensive to acquire and maintain. Same goes for the appraisers on this forum. They each deserve to be paid for their investment in their education and their equipment, as well as for their time and experience. And perhaps the pricing structure at goodoldgold gives them a litle bit of wiggle room to negotiate?

When you began this thread with a $8,500 diamond and asked for advice, I assumed this was roughly what your budget would allow. Good Old Gold does have a G-VS1 that sounds like it might be within your budget. Actually, it is the stone I was thinking of earlier when I mentioned that there was one that I thought might be the best value. And even though ovals aren't as easy to find as rounds, there are still lots of them around. I only suggested goodoldgold because I was familiar with the web site and knew it might be useful for comparison purposes, even if it didn't have exactly what you were looking for. I wish you well, and hope others will chime and help some too!

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just found a stone on buydiamonddirect.com for $6357.00 that is a 1.30 ov. fvs1 g.i.a cert. I don't know if you will be able to see such a big difference between a 1.30 and 1.40 accept for the price.

I suggest you check out different sites and see who gives you the best deal for your buck, also consider the fact that if it is out of your state you can save the sales tax, and put it towards upgrading your stone.
good luck

diamondsman
:read:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results